'Kumar' star promotes Obama campaign at AU

Democratic presidential candidate and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's candidacy has attracted a large youth following that helped him win the Iowa caucuses and other contests, actor Kal Penn said during an event Friday night at the Washington College of Law.

Penn, known for his roles in the film "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" and the television show "House," encouraged young people to vote during the event.

Jamie Raskin, a WCL professor and a Maryland state senator, said he invited Penn to speak at AU to inspire young people to get engaged in the political process.

Penn is a surrogate for Obama's campaign and travels the country to garner support for the campaign, said Dave Simnick, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and co-director of AU's Students for Barack Obama chapter. The AU chapter has 340 members and is one of the top 10 chapters in the country.

"One of the reasons I can volunteer for Barack is because of the writer's strike in L.A. - I've got no job," Penn said to an audience of more than 50 people.

Penn, who is a registered Independent, said he first got "hooked" into the political process in 2004 after hearing Obama's keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

Penn volunteered for the Obama campaign at the Iowa caucuses and said the youth vote, which increased by 150 percent, helped Obama win the state.

"After he won Iowa, Barack said he was proud because no matter what happens, these young people will continue voting their entire lives," Penn said. "Whether it's for Obama or someone else, the youth vote has been a vital part of this election so far."

The 17- to 30-year-old voter demographic has earned billions of dollars for new media companies like Facebook, Penn said.

"This is a time for change," Penn said. "The last 20 years, the White House has had two families. For the first time, we are moving forward. There is a better way to live as Americans."

Penn said he supports Obama because of his integrity.

"He is the same guy in a room of 5,000 and a room of five," he said.

Sarah Flak, a sophomore in the School of International Service, said Penn's speech and political knowledge impressed her.

"He's a very good public speaker," Flak said. "He answered the questions very well and was well versed and prepared. I also liked that he is Independent because I am, too."

Susie Vulpas, a sophomore in SIS, said Penn was considerate of students who supported other candidates.

"He was very open-minded about it and respectful to everyone in the room no matter [whom] they supported," Vulpas said.

After the speech, Simnick and other leaders of AU's Students for Barack Obama chapter encouraged students to sign up to canvas in Maryland on Saturday and to vote in the Feb. 12 "Potomac Primary"