CUTTING THE CAKE - Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey and AU College Republicans President Will Haun cut the Republicalooza cake at an event held Tuesday night. Republicalooza, an annual event, provided College Republicans with the opportunity to con

College Republicans seek opportunities

Former rep talks politics on Hill, at colleges

Politics on university campuses are meaner than politics in Washington, Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, R-Texas, said at the College Republicans' annual Republicalooza event held Tuesday night.

The event was also an opportunity for students to speak with different companies and agencies to see what kinds of job opportunities and internships were available, according to club President Will Haun.

"It's an opportunity for our members to really get first-hand access to the conservative movement," he said.

Some of the groups at the event included Americans for Tax Reform and Young America's Foundation, Haun said.

"These are groups that politicians turn to for answers and positions on policy questions," he said.

Armey spoke at the beginning of the event, when he discussed his views on politics and the government.

"I am not a politician," he said. "I don't like politics, and I've seen very few politicians that I do."

Armey, a former college professor, lamented governmental and collegiate politics.

"I did not find the intellectual and social climate in Washington, in politics, as mean and as intolerant as I had found in the university," he said.

However, Armey cited the size of the government compared to academia as a major reason for the hostility on college campuses.

"The reason politics is so mean on a college campus is because the stakes are so small," he said.

Ben Kochman, a sophomore in SPA, said Armey's demeanor and his way of speaking impressed him.

"His notion of politics is something that hit true to me," Kochman said.

College Republicans Vice President Luke Kraus said he liked Armey's tact.

"He really speaks to conservatives well, even though he really seems to be able to talk to everyone," Kraus said.

Students were able to mingle with several company and agency representatives after Armey's speech.

Chris Hughes, internship advisor for SPA students at the Career Center, said that this was a great opportunity to learn to interact with people.

"It's very, very important for students to know about the art of networking," Hughes said. "It's a good way for students, regardless of party affiliation, to get involved in the political affairs in Washington, D.C."

Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore was also supposed to appear at the event also, but heavy traffic en route to the university delayed him.