Briefs

CAMPUS BRIEF Unknown person ignites Leonard Hall bulletin board Public Safety is still looking for the person that set fire to a bulletin board in Leonard Hall Saturday night, according to Michaela McGill, a resident assistant for the building. Area Director Chris Fiorello told students that an unknown person set fire to the board on the fourth floor, leaving a large scorch mark, according to McGill. However, the fire did little damage to the area surrounding the bulletin board. The fire set off the building's alarm system, McGill said. "They told us it was a real fire, and no one really knew what it was," she said. McGill said that although she was not on duty at the time, she helped out with the evacuation. Public Safety responded to the fire and cleared out the smoke but did not call the fire department, she said. -ALLIE FERAS

METRO BRIEF Poll reveals disparity between Super Bowl, Super Tuesday viewers Americans' excitement about this year's Super Bowl matched their anticipation of the upcoming presidential primaries, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll released Friday. Forty percent of those polled said they were more excited about the Super Bowl, while 37 percent said they were more excited about Super Tuesday, according to poll data. The poll revealed that both education and gender had an impact on a participant's response. Among the 1,019 randomly selected adults nationwide, 48 percent of men polled said they were more excited about the Super Bowl, while 34 percent said they were more excited about the Super Tuesday primaries. Forty percent of all women polled said they were looking forward to Super Tuesday, compared to 32 percent who said they preferred the Super Bowl. Fifty-three percent of college graduates were more excited about Super Tuesday than seeing the New England Patriots face the New York Giants. This figure compared to 45 percent of people with a high school diploma or less who were more excited about the game. -CHRISTOPHER COTTRELL

NATIONAL BRIEF Groundhogs offer differing winter forecasts Two rodent weather forecasters offered contradictory predictions about whether to expect an early spring or another six weeks of winter on Groundhog Day, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Saturday. Georgia's General Beauregard Lee emerged from his hole at 7:58 a.m. and did not see his shadow. However, as his northern counterpart, Pennsylvania's Punxsutawney Phil, arose from his Gobbler's Knob abode, he saw his shadow and led the tuxedo-wearing members of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club Inner Circle to expect more cold ahead, according to the Journal-Constitution. Both critters boast impressive accuracy rates - General Beauregard Lee has one of 98 percent, while Punxsutawney Phil has never made a false prediction, according to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club's official Web site. "As I look around me, a bright sky I see, and a shadow beside me. Six more weeks of winter it will be," the club's president read aloud at the Groundhog Day ceremony. -C.C.

INTERNATIONAL BRIEF Cows' milk needed to heat Swedish castle Warm milk is being used to heat a castle in Sweden, Swedish newspaper Local reported Saturday. Inhabitants of Wapn? Castle have captured the energy used to cool the 30,000 liters of milk the castle's 1,000 cows produce daily and redirected it into the castle's heating system, according to the Local. Currently, the excess energy is used to heat the castle's water and staff room and is being connected to the central heating system, the Local reported. -C.C.