LAUGHING STOCK - Improv actors take cues from the audience to shape unique and hysterical shows. Each performance consequently has the potential to fail or succeed, creating an exciting experience. Come to the theater twice to see the full range of the ac

Audience prompts hilarity at Precipice Improv Theater

Each show full of new surprises

"Well-trained and brilliant? Or really, really foolish?" This statement from the program for Precipice Improv Theater's first performance of a nine-show run Saturday at The Writer's Center in Bethesda captures its essence.

Precipice creates full-length, entirely improvised plays using two locations randomly decided by the audience. The result is both brilliant and foolish, on-the-edge and off-the-edge.

"We start with a blank slate," said artistic director Gary Jacobs. "We want to retain the integrity of the [improv] process."

The two locations were a literature brothel, where men go to hear beautiful women read fine books, and a bowling alley.

It was a rollicking beginning as the three men developed their characters before the audience's eyes. They became Trixie the literature whore, Bob the engineer and Rick, Trixie's boss and Bob's old college buddy. The plot launched as Trixie unlocked Bob's soul, connecting him to his true self and spurring a romance between them that only Rick could prevent from crossing the line.

The ending slowed significantly. Trixie kept her job and Bob stayed with his family. The players looked exhausted and the audience adjusted constantly in their seats. The show was about an hour long.

Next week, it will be completely different. The ending might be stronger, the beginning weaker. The literature brothel could become a preschool. The whole show could be bad. Precipice has the potential to either stand or fall.

The allure of the production lies in the troupe's shapelessness. Therein also lies the risk, for both the actors and the audience.

After the show, the three performers looked shaken as they shook hands with audience members in the lobby. They had laid themselves before a paying crowd and they came out alive. Furthermore, they had done it without a member of their troupe, the only female member, who was unable to attend.

The second show should hold more hilarity in store as return audience members see the same men create completely new characters and scenarios. With the kinks out and a fourth improviser slated to perform, the second show is sure to be more comfortable for everyone.

In order to fully appreciate the art and the skill, perhaps a second show is just what an audience needs. Which means that, while the quality of a second show cannot be predicted, one fact can still be stated with certainty: It's worth seeing again.

Precipice Improv Theater is for those looking for something different. It's not theater like you've ever seen before. It's not comfortable and controlled. It's edgy and spontaneous, original and downright dangerous. It's a work in progress every time, but is that enough to stifle your enjoyment?

The aura of community is powerful, leaving a new resident or college student feeling wonderfully included in an original, local environment. Precipice strongly urges audience members to join their improv workshop, offered at varying levels of experience. The workshop runs once a week for eight weeks. More information can be obtained at the show or on their Web site at www.precipiceimprov.com.

Precipice will perform again this Saturday at the Writer's Center in Bethesda. Tickets are $15 at the door but can be bought for less online. The Writer's Center, located at 4508 Walsh St., is difficult to find and, while there is stadium seating, is packed and simple.