AU ranks 7th on Peace Corps listing

AU jumped one spot in 2007 on the Peace Corps' list of the top 25 mid-size universities with the highest number of volunteers getting involved in the program.

The rankings, released Jan. 1, show AU ranked seventh on the list. The university ranked eighth last year and 12th in 2006. This year, AU had 45 volunteers while nearby George Washington ranked second with 66 volunteers. The University of Virginia topped the list with 72 volunteers.

AU's continued rise in the rankings is at least partially a result of new recruiting methods Peace Corps recruiters on campus implemented last fall, according to Lara Ferraiolo, a career adviser at AU.

The Peace Corps tried new approaches for attracting AU students, including increasing its involvement with the Teaching English as a Second Language program, hosting Peace Corps receptions and providing "office hours" at the Career Center with Elizabeth Doerr, AU's main Peace Corps recruiter.

Georgetown University was also on the Peace Corps list and ranked eighth. John Charles, an internship adviser in the AU Career Center, said this might point to the character of students who attend college in D.C. and participate in the Peace Corps.

"[Students] want to be part of the solution to 21st century global challenges," Charles said.

Students are often attracted to AU because D.C. offers them opportunities to pursue those careers, Charles said.

The subjects AU students learn also make them ideal candidates for the Peace Corps, Stephen Chapman, a public affairs specialist and recruiter for the Peace Corps Mid-Atlantic office, said in an e-mail.

"AU students often have an interest in public affairs, government, international diplomacy and community service, which is an ideal background to have for Peace Corps service," Chapman said.

The Peace Corps serves the interests of students interested in international service and studies, he said.

"Some [students] are looking for a way to give back - to serve both their country and the developing world, while others may want to experience life abroad and learn a new language and how to adapt in a crosscultural environment," Chapman said.

Approximately 25 percent of students at AU are enrolled in the School of International Service, according to AU's Web site.

The Peace Corps offers students a variety of learning opportunities, including skills as learning new languages, writing grant proposals and initiating and managing projects, Chapman said.

These skills can enhance long-term career goals and open doors to graduate school, he said.

Maeg Keane, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she had been inspired by one of her professors who was in the Peace Corps and now sees the program as a way "to see the world and help others."

Leslie Finstein, a junior in SIS, said she might be interested in joining the Peace Corps because it offers hands-on experience and the opportunity to spend time abroad.

"It's a great program," she said. "You can experience life in different parts of the world, help other people and bring what you have learned back"