NO PANTS, NO SERVICE? - Was this guy wearing pants? We'll never know. But for now, we can only hope to think so. With a blazer, of course.

Pants-less jokesters take passengers for ride

New York-based improv group encourages people to let their inhibitions hang loose

D.C. residents are generally not known for their willingness to let loose. Whether it's the politicians and lobbyists in suits downtown or the over-achieving, if transient, college set, our nation's capital is seldom known as place to let your hair down.

But on Saturday afternoon, about 200 people gathered to prove the stereotype wrong. Inspired by a group called Improv Everywhere, which is based in the somewhat more fun-loving city of New York, people of all shapes, sizes, ages and occupations dropped their drawers in the Metro for the first annual D.C. No Pants Metro Ride.

Created in August 2001 by Charlie Todd, Improv Everywhere "causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places," according to its Web site, www.improveverywhere.com. It hosted its seventh annual No Pants Subway ride on Saturday in New York and encouraged people from cities across the country to organize their own similar events in a show of fun-loving solidarity. Groups from cities like Chicago, Boston and even Salt Lake City also dropped trow last weekend.

The D.C. No Pants event began as an innocent group on Facebook, the popular social networking site. Locals Elizabeth Ody and Richard Julian founded the group, but volunteers from around town were conscripted to lead small groups of pantless riders around town.

Ody warned via a statement on Facebook that participants should be wary of their choice of undies, not wishing to attract unwanted attention from law enforcement. "Since D.C. indecency laws are subjective, I'm told, it's probably a good idea to err on the side of conservatism in your underpants selection," Ody wrote. That was enough to make the ride seem like quite an adventure.

Participants met in Dupont Circle at 4 p.m. on Saturday, and at first it was unclear if the ride would work at all. Nervous onlookers wondered aloud whether police would come to shut the event down, or whether riders would actually go through with it. Initially, reporters from major news outlets far outnumbered participants. But the steadily growing and supportive crowd soon put the pre-ride jitters to rest.

Dave Dugard, a 30-something professional with a wife and young children, led one group of about 25 people, not because he volunteered, but because, according to him, "I showed up, and I'm loud." Leaders like Dugard separated the large group into smaller factions -a north and a south contingent -and walked down to the trains en masse. With TV cameras, news reporters and jittery improvisers, the event was quite a spectacle.

The biggest question, perhaps, is: Why take off your pants in the Metro? Everyone at the event had his own answer to that question.

"There's really nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon," said Jake Patoski, an AU alum from the Class of 2007.

Some had more philosophical justifications for the event.

"I think [political statements] would be contrary to the point, because the point is just to mess with people," said Russ Hull, a senior in the School of Communication. "If you're trying to take it all seriously, it defeats the purpose."

Some were more honest. "I'm just here to show people my butt," said Katie Lefevre, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences.

An informal survey of one group of skivvy-bearing riders revealed that most participants had heard of Improv Everywhere before. Recent news coverage, such as a Washington Post article and NPR news coverage, clued many riders in. The popular PRI radio show "This American Life," which featured the group on a 2006 show, also gave participants some background on the group.

"I've seen all the stuff they've done in New York," Patoski said. "And they have endless material, so it's cool to see it branching down here. We definitely need it here in D.C."

Innocent bystanders had reactions that ranged from shocked looks, shrieks of laughter or, as from one middle-aged couple, calm acceptance.

"I don't mind in the least," said Sue Ellen McGovern, who was riding the Metro with her husband, Jim. "We came out of the '60s - this ain't no big thing."

Shondra Fogle, who was riding the Metro with her two small children, was a little less pleased.

"They have kids and stuff who ride on [the Metro]," Fogle said. "Some of the underwear is not appropriate."

Upon de-pantsing, however, Lefevre said she felt there was "generally a lot of support from the public at large. They're really interested."

Some were trying to keep a lower profile. Kristie Ramirez, 17, from a Maryland suburb, participated with two friends. When asked what her parents might think about her ride, she said, "They would kill me. They don't know I'm here right now."

The event was viewed as an overall success by organizers and participants alike. Time will tell if the dropped drawers helped loosen up our notoriously uptight capital.