NEW FRONTIER - Customizable characters and side quests allow for flexibility in gameplay in BioWare's new game, "Mass Effect." Players' decisions greatly shape the direction in which the game goes. Players can travel to hundreds of planets across the gala

'Mass Effect' explores space

Intuitive combat system, gripping plot shines despite minor glitches

Grade: A-

Forget "Star Wars," "Star Trek," "Battlestar Galactica" and all the other sci-fi universes you may be used to. BioWare, a well-known Canadian developer of critically acclaimed role-playing games, ushers gamers into the world of "Mass Effect," a deep, innovative world filled with political tension, well-developed characters and an exciting story that will leave gamers wanting more.

"Mass Effect" is an action role-playing game that puts the player in the role of Commander Shepard. His first name, gender, physical appearance and his past are constructed completely at the discretion of the player. The plot unfolds based on the player's decisions, too, as Shepard is commanded to hunt down a "Spectre," a special soldier who has gone rogue and is causing chaos in the galaxy.

Despite the apparent simplicity, the plot unfolds in gripping fashion, aided by superb voice acting. The game's plot is further strengthened by the simple knowledge that you have control over it - the player makes choices on what to say during a conversation, which can alter the story. The game gives the player a great sense of power and makes it that much more entertaining.

While the main story spans across a colossal space station and several planets, side quests are in no short supply. Side quests vary depending on who gives them to you. They range from simple menial tasks to sending your character to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. While there are a vast number of planets to choose from, the system never becomes intimidating. Some planets exist solely for a mission's sake, while others can be scavenged for items. The system generally gives the player a good deal of freedom without making the prospect of exploring so many planets seem daunting.

BioWare has also been known for creating exciting real-time combat in its games, and "Mass Effect" makes combat entertaining. One satisfying touch is infinite ammunition in weapons, saving players the hassle of constantly buying new ammunition. Biotics, the "Mass Effect" version of magic, add to the combat not as offensive powers, but as ways to turn the tide in your favor by manipulating the battlefield, and are fun to use. Six party members will eventually join your wayfaring group, each with their own talents.

"Mass Effect" also continues the tradition of a morality system in BioWare games. Choices made by the player determine his morality, and points will be gained based on how the player acts in the game. Instead of a raw good or evil approach, the system used in "Mass Effect" is more abstract. Paragon and Renegade points are awarded based on the gamer's choice of action, which in turn affects the game.

The only unpleasant part of the game is the bizarre number of small glitches and annoyances. Party members can sometimes get stuck inside objects or buildings, forcing you to reload your last save point. This does not become an overbearing problem, but it is strange to see it in a game like this. Textures can also take up to 10 seconds to load when you enter a new area, which ruins the dazzling graphics at times.

"Mass Effect" is an extremely pleasing game with a deep story, great customization, a thrilling combat system and an incredible amount of choices. The story doesn't end at the credits, since BioWare has already announced two sequels, which will continue this great science fiction story.