Doin' it: Hardcastle gets AU into magic position

I've been sidestepping this for a whole semester. In addressing abortion, STIs, domination and contraceptives, I've avoided what this column is actually about: sex. For my last column, I thought I'd talk about the main sexual positions. I'm less aware of anal sex positions because I don't have that experience, but I'll try to touch on that also.

First, there's the missionary position. This is usually man on top and woman on bottom, but it can also be anal. For heterosexual sex, the woman spreads her legs to receive the man's penis. As vanilla and normal as this is, missionary sex is very intimate because kissing is easy and there is usually very little strain between both male and female anatomy in this position.

PIERCE HARDCASTLE REVEALED!

I did receive one question this week, and I wanted to make sure that I answered it.

Dear Pierce,

Who are you?

-Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

My real name is Josh Kramer and I'm a junior in the School of Communication. I also blog for The Eagle at www.theeagleblog.com. I'm a print journalism major with no particular background in sexual education or advice. After reading semester after semester of what I saw not as sex columns but wasted opportunities, I decided to try my hand at it. If anything, I think this column has demonstrated that AU students do care about their sexual health and want someone to take it at least somewhat seriously. As for me, I'm going to Rome next semester. Thanks for reading.

There's also penetrating from behind. Most commonly, heterosexual couples go "doggy style" when doing it from behind, with the man penetrating the woman's vagina (or anus) while she kneels before him. This is also a popular position for gay sex. Another kind of behind penetration is spooning, with both partners lying on their sides. Men with smaller penises, or even average-length dicks of 6 inches, may have difficulty satisfactorily penetrating their partners in this position.

But don't get too down, possessors of normal dicks. There are other positions where having too large a member is a real disadvantage. This can often be true when the receiving partner is on the top. In the "cowgirl position," with the woman riding the man's penis while he lies on his back, it can be really tough to make everything fit with a huge cock in the way.

There are many other positions, including ones that involve standing, leaning against a wall, balancing on surfaces or contorting bodies in different ways. My list is in no way definitive, but merely intended to suggest some new ideas. Also, it almost goes without saying that sex without fingering, sucking, licking, scratching or biting could not be sex. People are into so many different kinds of sexual things, and so few of them can be described as "vaginal intercourse."

The semester's drawing to a close, and hopefully this column has helped to answer your burning questions about sexual health. If you liked what you read this semester - or you really didn't like it at all - we're looking to find a sex columnist for next semester. E-mail features@theeagleonline.com for an application.