Tech bits

High-speed Internet from automobiles

People may soon be able to instant message their friends or play online chess from the passenger seat of a car with the help of major cell phone companies. AT&T, Sprint Nextel and Verizon Wireless now offer a high-speed wireless data service. By simply sliding a wireless data PC card into the side of a laptop and enabling wireless connections, people can have high-speed wireless straight from their cars. According to The New York Times, it is not quite the same speed as cable or DSL connections, but it comes fairly close. All three companies charge a monthly fee of $60. This is not to say that the system is perfect. The farther you go from your company's cell phone towers, the slower your Internet service becomes. It stops completely when you run outside its range.

Real Estate Market Hits the Internet

A new Web-based service, VizzVox (vizzvox.com), allows people to create their own Web sites to sell their own homes online. For $149 a year, VizzVox offers a package that includes a number of features - the ability to showcase homes to millions online, domain name registration for the property you wish to sell and Web-based software that lets real estate agents make presentations. "It's an affordable way to make and distribute commercials," Robert W. Beth, co-founder and chief executive of VizzVox, told The New York Times. "We think this is an opportunity for individuals to create ads and level the playing field with big companies." The service is cheaper and easier than alternatives to showcasing homes online. Mike Raspatello, director of marketing at Richter Studios in Chicago, told The New York Times that the cost of a three-minute high definition video for a single home can cost anywhere between $6,000 and $15,000. Real estate agents can create a virtual tour of the house by uploading video clips and digital photos of the home, and they also talk about the home and neighborhood in sound clips. The presentations can be viewed on both PCs and Macs.

Demos, Pre-Release Tests Successful for big name games

Games set to be released soon, most notably "Super Mario Galaxy" and "Assassin's Creed," have enjoyed a large amount of limelight. "Super Mario Galaxy" sold 250,000 copies in Japan within four days of its release and has enjoyed positive reviews. Critics are universally calling it one of the greatest games for the Wii and one of the best Mario games ever made. IGN called it "one of the greatest platformers ever made" in its review. "Super Mario Galaxy" is slated for release today in North America. "Assassin's Creed," a stealth action game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC, has also enjoyed positive reception for its immersive and interactive environment and detailed story. Game Informer praised the control scheme and replay value in its review. "Assassin's Creed" is set to debut in the United States tomorrow.