STAR REPORTER - Meryl Streep stars as hard-hitting reporter Janine Roth in a new political drama directed by Robert Redford. The film presents different points of view on the current state of the war on terror.

Review: Redford's new thriller aims to spark political discussion

Lions for Lambs: A-

There is little debate that the war on terror is one of the most significant events of this decade. Seasoned director Robert Redford captures how the United States has been affected by the conflict in several tales concerning very different individuals in his latest film, "Lions for Lambs."

The film, which opens nationwide tomorrow, acts as a counterbalance to the vague, frustrating reports of the war on terror that U.S. media continue to dish out, echoing Redford's defiant call to action.

At an unnamed West Coast university, idealistic professor Stephen Malley (Redford) attempts to reach out to a privileged but cynical, lazy and disillusioned student named Todd (Andrew Garfield). On the opposite end of the United States is ace reporter Janine Roth (Meryl Streep), who has been called to the Capitol Building by the ambitious Sen. Jasper Irving (Tom Cruise) to discuss a press release for a new war on terror plan. Thousands of miles away, Malley's former protégés-turned-military recruits, Arian (Derek Luke) and Ernest (Michael Peña), fight for their lives on a mountaintop in Afghanistan.

Redford obviously wants to convey a message to the Americans, and, fortunately, he manages to do so without forcing his viewpoint onto the audience. Every character has someone with an opposing viewpoint - the dedicated Irving to the jaded Roth and the idealistic Arian and Ernest to the frustrated of Malley and Todd. Redford allows everyone their share of screen time and their chance to argue their positions.

Meryl Streep shines as Janine Roth, never fearing to pose the questions the American people always think about but never get the chance to ask. Opposite her is Tom Cruise, who looks almost humorously out of place in the trailers as a privileged, patriotic U.S. senator but effortlessly brings life to his character. Redford demonstrates his ability to become any persona he wants to, even at age 71. The seasoned actor characterizes the older generation of Vietnam veterans so well that older viewers will find it difficult not to empathize with him.

The drama found in "Lions for Lambs" is meant to spark political discussion and call Americans to action. The issues discussed are sometimes skimmed over without allowing audiences to absorb their full meanings, but the dialogue is sharp and funny and written in a way that will keep moviegoers glued to the screen.

"Lions for Lambs" does not attempt to be the greatest political film of its era. Instead, Redford has brought together several talented actors to make a film probing sensitive issues that some prefer not to talk about. The movie simultaneously captures the frustration of the Americans using Malley, Roth and Todd, the relentless dedication of political leaders through Irving and the plight of U.S. troops overseas using Arian and Ernest. Anyone with any remote interest in current events should enjoy the engrossing "Lions for Lambs"