Easy dorm recipe yields savory, creamy result

We all have our staple dishes, and this meal is my all-time favorite. I love it because it contains my favorite foods: chicken, mushrooms, heavy cream and potatoes. I got the recipe idea from my mom. She doesn't make it often, and since it is a simple recipe, I have never asked her for it. It took me a few tries to get it completely right, having added oregano and thyme as key ingredients, but I think I found the perfect blend.

The dish seems complicated, but it is not. If you do not eat chicken, make it with beef or tofu. Remember, cooking should be easy and fun. Just because a recipe calls for certain ingredients does not mean you have to use them. It is not only your dinner, but also your creation. Guten Appetit!

Chicken in Cream Sauce Preparation time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20-25 minutes

Ingredients

-6-ounce pack of mushrooms (sliced or whole) -1 medium yellow onion -1 tablespoon olive oil -1 tablespoon butter -2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts -2 tablespoons salt, use 1 tablespoon at a time -1 teaspoon pepper -1 pint heavy cream -1 teaspoon thyme -1 teaspoon oregano

Cooking Steps

1) Slice the mushrooms if they aren't presliced. Peel and slice onion into thin slices.

2) Sauté the mushrooms and onions in oil and butter. When both are soft (this will take about 3 minutes), remove them from the pan and put on a separate plate.

3) Clean the chicken under cold water and cut it into 1-inch pieces.

4) Season the chicken with 1 tablespoon of salt and pepper and sauté it in the same pan as the mushrooms and onions. Stir occasionally until the outside is golden. This should take about 5 minutes. Do not cook chicken all the way through.

5) Add the heavy cream, mushrooms, onions, thyme and oregano to the pan. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

6) If you are serving the dish with potatoes, peel and cut the potatoes into 1-inch thick pieces and place them in a pot of cold water. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and turn heat to medium high. When the water boils, turn heat to medium heat and let them cook for about 20 minutes.

Serving Suggestion

Try rice or couscous as a base dish for your meal.