Doin' it: Take charge of your sex education

Well, it's coming down to the end of my glorious run as sex columnist. This is my second to last article. I don't have any questions, so I thought I'd just use this space to highlight some great sex-related resources available to students.

There is a multitude of information on the Internet. It's really no secret you can find whatever you want to know about some of the most bizarre fetishes within seconds. However, finding reliable, well-written information about complicated sexual ideas is another story. There are some credible sites I visit to answer your questions each week.

I have two favorites. Columbia University hosts an amazing Web site called Go Ask Alice (www.goaskalice.columbia.edu). This health education resource has dished out an assortment of advice for more than a decade. The format is similar to my column, actually - students ask questions but, instead of another student, health professionals respond. The site is informative, engaging and well-organized. If only our school offered something as great.

Also, Dan Savage is my hero. The Seattle-based writer's "Savage Love" sex column is syndicated nationally in alternative weeklies, including our very own Washington City Paper. Savage has not only written hilariously about everything sex for more than 15 years, but he has changed American ideas about sexual practices through his writing. He famously named frothy anal discharge "Santorum," in reference to former Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., who sparked controversy in April 2003 with statements regarding anti-gay sodomy laws that were perceived as bigoted. Savage's writing is accessible, informed and in demand. I resoundingly suggest downloading his podcast - he answers pre-recorded questions out loud - from iTunes or on his column's Web site at www.thestranger.com/savage.

There are some great people to talk to on campus, too. We've all had something to gripe about at the Student Health Center, but when it comes to sexual health, I've found it to be nothing short of considerate, sympathetic and helpful. The same goes for Kathy Haldeman's Wellness Center. Don't feel like buying condoms, even in the dorms? The free packs of LifeStyles condoms are reason enough to go and chat with sex professionals on campus.

The D.C. metropolitan area also has many great organizations to help. Many are run entirely by volunteers and are looking for college students. The Women's Collective (www.womenscollective.org) provides free HIV counseling and testing to anyone who needs it. Also, I've written about it before, but the D.C. Rape Crisis Center (www.dcrcc.org) provides many services to victims of sexual violence. Finally, Planned Parenthood (www.ppmw.org) does a lot for D.C. residents in all areas of sexual health. Seriously, take a look around its Web site.

Next week is my last column, dear readers, so send me your questions! Ask me anything you are burning to find out, or forever hold your peace. E-mail me at piercehardcastle@theeagleonline.com.

While I may not have received any questions this week, I did receive a comment:

Mr. Hardcastle,

I appreciate you tackling the difficult subject of abortion. I would like to respond to a couple of things you mentioned. It is true that there is no scientific proof that abortion causes long-term emotional grief as you said. However, there also have not been many studies looking at whether abortion causes long-term emotional grief.

There also is no proof that abortion causes breast cancer. However, during all stages of a pregnancy, estrogen levels soar. And, as a past edition of "The Toilet Paper" told us, high levels of estrogen may increase the risk for breast cancer. You also mentioned where women can find information on abortion. Can you explore what choices a woman has if she would like to consider something other than abortion at American University?

Laura Wolz Vice President of Students for Life

Dear Laura,

I respectfully agree to disagree with your views on grief. Also, if the soaring estrogen levels of pregnancy really are related to breast cancer, not only should all abortions be avoided, but also all pregnancies, and I don't see that working. However, I'm happy to do a little poking around for other options. As always, the fine counselors on the second floor of MGC are great people to talk to. For more help, Adoptions Together (www.centerforadoptivefamilies.org) is a great group, too.

-Pierce Hardcastle