Abortion ed for the inquiring student

Dear Pierce, I am not pregnant, nor do I plan on becoming pregnant, but I was wondering what kind of effects could an abortion have on a woman? Would it affect me emotionally and are there physical side effects? How would it affect my sex life?

Thanks, Gettin' All Learned

Dear GAL,

Abortions are an emotionally super-charged subject for many. There are so many terrifying connotations that come with the procedure, let alone the literal act of preventing the development of something with the potential to become a walking, talking human being. I don't want to get into the debate of "pro-choice" vs. "pro-life," since many surely take issue with what I've already said.

However, whatever you think about abortions, it is important to realize the role they play in society, especially in our oversexed college world. The procedure has changed a great deal since Roe v. Wade in 1973. Abortions are common enough that, as a college student, you should be informed about it in case you or someone you love needs to know their options when dealing with a pregnancy. For more information, I turned to Lauren Bull of D.C.'s Planned Parenthood.

First, there are two types of abortions, which are pretty intuitive once you get into it. There is medicinal abortion, which is done with pills in the first eight weeks after a women's last period. Plan B is different because it prevents the development of an embryo and is not an after-the-fact step to remove it. Medicinal abortion takes about 4 to 8 hours, and you need to have a follow-up appointment to make sure everything went all right. There are physical side effects, including dizziness, strong cramps, nausea, temporary abdominal pain, diarrhea or a temporary mild fever.

The second type of abortion is surgical. This is a 15- to 20-minute procedure almost always done in the first trimester of a pregnancy. Many women say they feel pain similar to strong menstrual cramps. Numbing medications are usually used. Sometimes the doctor will put you under, but there are more medical risks, and you are required to stay at the clinic longer. According to the Planned Parenthood Web site, the procedure can range from $350 to $650, but the price is decided on a need basis.

Bull warned that, while most women feel relieved immediately after an operation, the resulting sudden hormonal changes from it could also trigger anger, regret, guilt or sadness. Again, I'm going to try and avoid being too political, but there is no scientific proof to any claim that surgical abortion causes long-term emotional grief or breast cancer.

In terms of your sex life, GAL, that all depends on you. Many women don't see any effect. Others may feel a little more hesitant at first or even more open to using birth control and protection. To talk to someone about getting an abortion or just to get more information, call your doctor, talk to Planned Parenthood (1-800-230-PLAN) or stop by the Student Health Center and Wellness Center on campus.

Send me your juiciest questions and queries for the issue after we return from Thanksgiving. Contact me at piercehardcastle@theeagleonline.com or on Facebook, or leave your questions for me in the box outside The Eagle office, located at MGC 252.