Universe holds key to global progress

Space exploration is no longer an unattainable fantasy relegated to science fiction. It has become one of the most important issues of our time, and it will continue to be so indefinitely. NASA recently unveiled its newest long-term plans, which include a return to the moon by 2020 with the intent to develop a base there shortly afterward, as well as manned missions to Mars.

Alongside such goals are initiatives for immediate advancement in space shuttle technology and further surveillance of the solar system. NASA has had trouble with public image and certainly must be scrutinized on all levels, but its goals should be supported for reasons ranging from philosophy to science to politics. Our generation won't be the first to enter space, but we may be the first to see humans thrive in the solar system. I will outline five reasons why this generation should care about space exploration and be astounded by the knowledge there is to gain:

The Search for Life: A question that underscores all of the sciences is the origin of life. A companion question is whether we are alone in the universe or if there is a wide array of life-forms in our galaxy. Further exploration of our solar system can potentially answer this question. Imagine what the discovery of microbes on Mars or Titan would do for our understanding of our place in the universe. We have an inherent desire to know our origin, and space is the only way we can make great leaps in this quest.

Scientific Advancement: Our further exploration of space has immense implications for other sciences. We can understand such massive concepts as the formation of the solar system and the evolution of the universe. On a more accessible level, space explanation can help us understand various aspects of planetary science so we can protect and alter our own environment.

Technology: Space is undeniably romantic, but it is also practical. The space program has given us a wealth of technology that often goes unrecognized. For example, satellite communication and sophisticated robotics have revamped our society. Although we struggle to use technology wisely, there is certainly great potential to further useful technology through space. One long-term goal is the development of an asteroid defense system that could deter asteroids with the capability of immense destruction.

International Cooperation: Further exploration of our solar system could be a unifying force for humanity. The Apollo missions successfully put a man on the moon under notions of nationalistic fervor; a human on Mars would be a great triumph and a symbol of international cooperation.

Space can captivate humanity and unite it in the understanding that humans live on an unremarkable planet in an incomprehensibly large universe. The amount that can be achieved with international organization is far more than through competition.

The Future of Humanity: Humanity must look ahead and plot its direction. It is feasible that we can become an interplanetary species. Such an understanding of this future can help to deter the use of nuclear weapons and greenhouse gases, which have the potential of destroying life before we can meet our fate in the cosmos.

There are many reasons to venture into space, but I'd like to address the argument that there are more urgent uses for the money. This is a legitimate argument against the large sum NASA will need. However, NASA is not asking for an increase in funding. With exploration, we can fight poverty and disease on Earth while expanding our horizons into space. The Russian rocket scientist Tsiolkovsky said in 1911, "Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever."

Josh Levitz is a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences and a science columnist for The Eagle.