Sexual assault victims don't have to cope alone

Well, this week I didn't get any questions, and because I don't make up questions, I thought I'd give you some information I've been researching recently with the help of health educator Kathy Haldeman from the Wellness Center.

I went to a lecture by someone from the DC Rape Crisis Center, a group that helps victims of sexual violence. I realize that this isn't the most pleasant thing to think about, but if you've ever been to a "Take Back the Night" march in the spring, you know people are victimized on our campus. This is serious, and it's real here. The DCRCC provides free counseling, advocates for survivors, has a sexual response team, provides free taxi rides from the hospital and runs a 24-hour hotline at 202-333-7273.

While the legal definition is more narrow, the DCRCC's definition of sexual violence is any unwanted touching. Remember that sexual violence is about power and control, not about sex. The center has been doing this since 1972, and it really knows what it is doing. But what to say if someone you know confides in you? Here are the center's five important things to tell someone who has experienced sexual violence:

1 Sexual violence is never the victim's fault. The person might not believe you when you say that, but it's important that they hear it anyway.

2 It's important that they know they aren't alone. There are great resources, such as the DCRCC hotline mentioned above, and the AU Counseling Center.

3 Tell them they aren't crazy. These things happen. You have to affirm their sense of reality if they start to lose grip.

4 Don't make promises you can't keep. Everyone's experience is different, and even if a crime has been committed, don't say that someone will go to jail because you never know what will happen legally.

5 Finally, offer resources to the person. If you feel comfortable doing it, make sure he or she knows that you are always available to talk.

When a rape victim goes to the hospital, everything becomes evidence, including clothing. As if this experience weren't difficult enough, many rape victims have nothing to leave the hospital in. Because of this, the Wellness Center is running a clothing drive for new underwear, and sweats, to which you can donate.

I also talked with Lauren Bull from Planned Parenthood, who will be helping me answer some of your questions from now on. PP does do abortions, but it also offers a range of other sexual health services to the community, such as colonoscopies and gynecological exams. There are five locally, and the closest is at 16th and L streets near the Farragut North Metro stop.

The folks at PP can teach us a lot about contraception, too! Personally, I was blown away by all the different methods. Who knew? In the technical vocabulary, there are two types: barrier (the condom is the most common example) and hormonal (the pill is the classic). But these are not the only methods.

Some ways are easier to rule out for college students because of sheer cost alone, but there are still many you can get at CVS. Remember the diaphragm? This classic gets inserted into the vagina six hours in advance, filled with spermicide and taken out four hours after sex. You can get it by prescription. Also, the sponge is back! The sponge is inserted into the vagina and absorbs everything. One can stay up there for 24 hours, but throw it out four hours after vaginal intercourse. These disposable wonders are three for $10, and you can get them over-the-counter.

There are also some interesting hormonal methods of contraception other than the pill. Hormonal methods vary in methods of distribution, but they all use the same thing: estrogen and progesterone. Some only use progesterone, like the Depo shot, but that's too expensive for most students. More viable options are the patch, the pill and the ring. There are new studies just coming out about the side effects of these methods. The patch requires a higher dosage of hormones because it must penetrate through the skin, and the ring requires less because it only has to go through the vaginal wall into the bloodstream. So if you have side effects on the pill, it might be a good idea to check out the ring. Or, if you have no side effects, it might be good to check out the patch because it's less hassle. With hormonal options, it's a good idea to talk to a doctor and/or pharmacist. Whatever you do, make sure you use two methods (but not two condoms) and keep it safe!

Please, faithful readers, don't make me do this again! Send me your questions about anything. Anything goes. As always, you can reach me at piercehardcastle@theeagleonline.com.