One month, many reasons to celebrate

It's a couple months into the school year, and you may be running out of reasons to party. Fear not! October is full of observances waiting to be celebrated. Just pick your favorite and revel accordingly.

Caramel Month

The National Confectioner's Association has declared October National Caramel Month. Not only is caramel delicious on its own, but it's used to flavor and color many other products, like Coca-Cola, a popular party beverage.

Apple Month

According to the U.S. Apple Association, Apple Month began as merely Apple Week in 1904. Fortunately, it was expanded in 1996 to a three-month long celebration from September to November. Its goal is to increase consumer awareness and use of apples and apple products. For instance, did you know that apples make an excellent addition to your halibut or scrambled eggs?

Caramel Apple Day

Halloween is also National Caramel Apple Day. It's fortuitous that Apple Month and Caramel Month are both October, so it's like you're celebrating three holidays at once!

Clergy Appreciation Month

According to Hebrews 13:7 and christianitytoday.com, you should appreciate your clergymen and -women, and October is the perfect month to do it. Who better to celebrate than the people that give you free wine once a week? Christianity Today offers rousing e-cards you can send your pastor as a token of your gratitude. If the melodic MIDI music doesn't win his heart, then the carefully chosen Bible passages certainly will.

Stamp Collecting Month

Are you a philatelist? If you're one of the few that isn't, October is the perfect month to begin your stamp collection. Then you could invite a few friends over and discuss the Inverted Jenny incident of 1918 and speculate who among you would have shelled out the $2.5 million for the block of four that came up for auction in 2005.

Popcorn Poppin' Month

The Popcorn Board wants you to know that "popcorn is among the healthiest - and tastiest -snacks around." American Indians used to bring popcorn as a token of good will when attending meetings with English settlers. At about 25 cents a quart, popcorn is probably the best and cheapest peace offering you could bring to the party you're crashing.

Healthy Lung Month

It's very anti-party to suggest you stop smoking, but that's just what the American Lung Association wants you to do. If you can learn to party without smoking, imagine all the other things you can do without a cigarette.