JOB HUNTING - A student speaks with a representative of washingtonpost.com at the Job and Internship Fair, which the AU Career Center sponsored and held Thursday in Bender Arena. More than 100 companies tabled at the event, attracting and recruiting peopl

Job, internship fair reps impressed with dress

More than 700 students meet potential employers

More than 700 students converged on Bender Arena Thursday afternoon to meet with 133 employers at the Job and Internship Fair, according to Bridget O'Connell, acting director of outreach and marketing for the AU Career Center.

Ross Herosian, an internship coordinator for XM Radio, was one of the representatives at the event.

"As far as internship fairs go, this is the one I go out of my way to go to," he said.

Sara Rigdon, a sophomore in the School of International Service, said she found the fair informative and helpful.

"There were so many internship opportunities," she said. "It made me a lot more confident about my job search."

The fair was overwhelming, said Michael Silver, a sophomore in SIS.

"There were so many booths, I didn't really know what to do," he said.

AOL representative Danielle Doolin said she was impressed with the students' professional dress and attitude.

When potential interns make direct eye contact and show positive enthusiasm, it stands out to employers, said Alexis Koppius of Kforce Professional Staffing. Students should have an idea of what skills they have to offer a company before they go for an interview, he said.

"Some applicants will come up and ask what do you do, what's the salary," Koppius said. "They'll slouch against the table or seem very unsure about their attributes or what they want."

Karen Proctor of Discovery Communications said she appreciates when students show they have researched the company and seem passionate about its mission.

Ideally, students should be informed about an employer before approaching the table, O'Connell said.

In surveys returned to the Career Center, many employers rated student attire at the fair a three or four on a scale of one to five, according to O'Connell. Students, especially underclassmen, should work on improving their professional attire, she said.

However, some employers do not value professional attire as much as others.

Herosian, who wore shorts and a T-shirt, said the XM Radio office is very casual.

"It's a very different atmosphere than you'll find anywhere else," he said.