Canadian bands you ought to know

Canada has routinely been seen as the ugly second cousin of the United States, lacking the spunk and ingenuity of U.S. media. But there is nothing boring about our northern neighbors. For years, Canadian musicians have been infiltrating the U.S. music scene, such as Neil Young, Rush, Celine Dion and the Barenaked Ladies. And right now, we are on the verge of arguably the strongest invasion of Canadian artists in the last few decades. There is nothing polite about these folks, and you won't find them wearing flannel and playing in a curling match. Simply put: There's more to Canadian music than Avril Lavigne and Nickelback.

1. The Arcade Fire Formed in Montreal in 2003, this indie rock band is big and bold. Fronted by husband and wife team Win Butler and Regine Chassagne, The Arcade Fire boasts a lineup of seven musicians. Their music incorporates everything from the typical drums, guitar and bass to cello, violin, xylophone, French horn, harp and mandolin. Due to their diverse instruments and deep lyrics, it is nearly impossible to compare the band to any other group currently out there. Check out "Rebellion (Lies)" from their first album, "Funeral," and "Keep the Car Running" from their latest release, "Neon Bible." They have gained the respect of genius artists like David Bowie and U2, and anything creative enough for David Bowie is worth the listen.

2. Bedouin Soundclash This Kingston, Ontario, band is described as an eclectic mix of rock, reggae and ska. The band debuted in 2001 with "Root Fire," and it has been rocking ever since - "When The Night Feels My Song" has been the anthem of summer since its release in 2005. Bedouin Soundclash incorporates a peppy guitar with steady drums and a soulful lead singer that forms a sound-clash unlike any other on the music scene. Their successful sophomore album, "Sounding a Mosaic," skyrocketed them to No. 1 on Canadian charts, and their recent release, "Street Gospels," has been receiving similar praise. "1259 Lullaby," off their latest album, can be heard on "Grey's Anatomy." But instead of buying the soundtrack to an overdramatic television show, let the music speak for itself and pick up an album, any of which are sure to please fans old and new.

3. Feist She's more than that cute girl with a smooth voice you've seen on iPod commercials. "1234" has been advancing on the U.S. and British charts ever since it debuted alongside Apple's own sleek new release. Feist gained musical success with Toronto indie rockers Broken Social Scene and released her debut solo album in 1999. "The Reminder," her 2007 album, has exponentially broadened her fan base, and Americans are finally clueing in to the best-kept Canadian secret of the last decade. Check out "Sea Lion Woman" from her latest album, and "Secret Heart" from 2004's "Let it Die." Any true Feist fan must check out the Broken Social Scene and Feist collaboration on "Lover's Spit," off BSS' album "You Forgot It In People."

4. K-OS The idea of a Canadian rapper seems surreal. With strict gun laws, what can Canadians truly know about the hard-life of the urban underbelly? This inspirational Toronto artist has redefined U.S. notions of rap. You won't hear him trashing his "hoes" and "bitches;" rather, you'll hear the heart of what rap music should be. With funk and soul influences, K-OS looks to everyone from Michael Jackson to A Tribe Called Quest for inspiration. This hip-hop artist is arguably the most popular in Canada, thanks to singles like "Man I Used To Be" and "Crabbuckit". And with an album title like "Joyful Rebellion," you know he's not your typical gangsta rapper. If you're a fan of well-produced hip-hop with thoughtful lyrics, K-OS is the man for you.

5. Stars "The scary part / the aftershock / the moment that it takes to fall apart / The time we have / the task at hand / the love it takes to destroy a man." These lyrics from "The Night Starts Here" from Stars' 2007 release, "In Our Bedroom After The War," speak to the band's ability to capture the politics and social proclivities of the modern era. The Montreal-via-Toronto and New York City-based band is the epitome of what the indie genre represents. Original, genius and beautiful, Stars intoxicates their fans with fresh beats and soothing vocals. The band members are also members of Broken Social Scene with Feist. If you're a Feist fan, you will love Stars.