DANTE'S INFERNO - Club owner Dante Ferrando fights for our right to party by lobbying against strict laws and supporting all-ages shows.

Venue celebrates 14 years of music

Tonight, the Black Cat will party like it's 1993 as the staff and friends of what could easily be called the District's most beloved venue celebrate its 14th birthday.

Though young by the District's historic standards, the club is accomplished beyond its years, having provided independent artists an outlet for their music. From tragic troubadour Jeff Buckley to the piss-and-vinegar punks of Fear, the venue is decidedly genre-neutral.

"A lot of the investors and people that work here are musicians, so it's a very musician-oriented venue," said Dante Ferrando, owner and founder of the Black Cat. "I was born and raised in D.C. and was actively involved in the music scene and bands before opening the Black Cat, so it's always been a very scene-focused, band-focused venue."

The surprisingly laid-back owner, who prefers to drop the surname for his first name, has a family history of independent spirits. His father ran a restaurant, Food For Thought, from 1973 to 1999, where he had his first job.

"It was a popular counterculture and health food restaurant in D.C. back then," Dante said.

The former Connecticut Avenue eatery has since found a home within the Black Cat, serving seitan sandwiches and vegan nachos to hungry concertgoers as one of four different destinations within the club.

"Right now he's semi-retired - he still works at the restaurant here cooking the food," Dante said of his father. "The look of the room is modeled after that [original] restaurant."

But Dante's mission to support the local dark horse has gotten a bit more difficult. Ever the canary-art - I can only put on the shows," Dante said. "It's sometimes frustrating."

It is easy to forget that the youth themselves put D.C. on the map 25 years ago after finding inspiration in mosh pits. Dante and other club owners banded together to fight for young people when D.C. Council members threatened venues with additional licenses and fees if alcohol and under-21-year-olds were to coexist.

"I was actively involved in fighting against that, and there was a lot of petitioning and lobbying, trying to show them that there is a vibrant and active music scene grounded in all-ages shows, and that it's something we're actually known for in cities across America and the world even," Dante said. "I know people for who being involved in an active, healthy music scene saved their lives. People of all ages should be involved in music, and I think it's actually one of the better, healthiest things you can do when you're a teenager."

Dante has a similar opinion about the strict curfews for District minors - 11 p.m. on weekdays and midnight on weekends for individuals under 17.

"There's a weird attitude of needing to protect kids from real life until they're 21 and just let them into the world hoping they'll learn without any previous experience," Dante said. "As a business owner and a participant in the music scene, I don't think it's the business of the government. It's a little police state theory to me."

But for tonight at least, the bustle and flow of the music industry and D.C. bureaucracy will be far from the minds of everyone at the Cat.

"We do something every year; we don't tend to play the events up," Dante said. "Way back when we were newer, we would do big events, something of a big splash. But since then, we've transformed it into something for the staff."

Staff bands that rarely play outside the basement will share billing with headliners The Aquarium, Dischord Records' newest act. The night is a chance for patrons to see what all those folks who respectfully man the tap, check IDs and draw permanent Xs over the backs of underage hands do in their off-time.

"We used to hold it on weekend nights, but this time we said 'You know what, let's just have it on the day we actually opened and if it's on an off night, so be it,'" Dante said. "It's mostly for the staff. We'll all be there, and it's free, so anyone else who wants to come can join us"