FALL LOOKS - Mismatching and preppy styles are two of the top looks for fall. Here, designers Derek Lam and Ralph Lauren showcase these looks in their fall 2007 shows. These looks have moved from the runway to more mainstream labels that are readily avail

Trend report: What to fall for this fall

Shocked as we were to hear that AU didn't already have a weekly fashion column, the two of us immediately knew this was the job for us. Who better for the position than two shopaholic, fashion-interning, Vogue-reading girls? This year, we will keep you looking fabulous at Five, Fur, Platinum or even the Ward building. We will let you know what to adore, what to abhor, what to admire and what you'll need to acquire. For our very first submission to The Eagle, we decided to keep it simple. Here's what you'll need this fall to stay fabulous:

1. Zippers A fashionable and functional new trend this fall is zippers. Zippers opened and closed on some of the hottest designs from the trendiest designers at New York Fashion Week, including Zac Posen, Chanel and Luca Luca. Some designers, such as Derek Lam, contrasted bright-colored zippers with neutral-colored clothing, while other designers, such as Chloe, favored darker, subtler zippers. Zippers have also appeared on clothing for more affordable labels, such as H&M, Bebe and GUESS - stores which are all conveniently located in nearby Georgetown. The zipper transitioned from a means of closing one's jacket to an accent for sweaters, skirts, pants and even dresses.

2. Mismatching While pairing navy blue and black has always been a fashion faux pas, black and blue ensembles are being embraced as one of this fall's must-have trends. The chicest way to handle this clash of colors is by pairing a black belt with a navy blue top or dress, a long, black sweater over a navy blue outfit or black boots with a navy blue dress. For men, the black and blue trend is best worn using a navy button-down shirt with a black T-shirt underneath, or a navy blue shirt with a black tie for a formal look.

3. Purple Unlike black and blue, purple is a color that doesn't need to be complemented this season. Deep and bright shades of amethyst, violet and indigo are sweeping the runways on all different kinds of clothing. The best way to wear purple is by mixing it with dark grays and blacks. Make sure the hue complements your skin color - lighter shades of purple for paler complexions, and deeper shades for darker skin. Try adding a splash of purple - in a jacket, shoe or top - while keeping the rest of the outfit neutral. A small amount of purple won't make enough of a statement, and too much will make you look like an all-too-familiar dinosaur.

4. Preppy A fashion tip for the men: the "in" look this season is prep with a twist. Try pairing a long scarf with a blazer or a dark-colored coat that falls just above the knee. College-style ties are also in style - the most fashion-forward ties are available at Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers and J.Crew. Ties are just as easy to dress up as they are to dress down - try wearing a tieloosely with a button-down shirt, or pair the two underneath a V-neck sweater. Girls, the prep look isn't for men alone: try wearing a fitted blazer (or better yet, a black and blue blazer) with white shorts or Bermuda khakis.

5. Sparkles Finally, our personal favorite fall fashion trend: sparkles. Designers sprinkled sequins all over their clothing at New York Fashion Week, creating both low-key designs (Vera Wang) and shockingly multicolored ones (Marc Jacobs). Although sparkles are typically an evening trend, we've figured out a way to blend this hot look into everyday wear. Try pairing a sparkly headband, sequined bag or sparkly ballet flats to jazz up your daily ensembles, and then go all out in a sparkly top or minidress once the streetlights come on. One small tip to remember: it's OK to look like a disco ball this season, but keep the sparkles on your clothes and away from your body. Body glitter looks bad, and even worse with sparkly, stylish ensembles. So leave the body glitter at Claire's and let your outfits and shining personalities do all of the sparkling.

Stay stylish, Lara and Virginia