Students volunteer in efforts to help Peru quake victims

Several AU students volunteered at the Peruvian Embassy during the last week of August to aid in disaster relief efforts following an earthquake that occurred in Lima, Peru, Aug. 15.

The earthquake had a magnitude of 8.0 on the Richter scale, killed at least 540 people and injured at least 1,500, according to The Associated Press.

At least 80,000 people have been affected by the earthquake through death or property damage, Peruvian President Alan Garcia told the AP.

Volunteers folded and counted clothes, packed the items into boxes and then recorded what exactly had been placed into each box to ensure that a certain amount of items were in every box, said Kana Tomita, a senior in the School of International Service who volunteered for two days at the embassy.

Ariana Gordillo, a sophomore in the School of International Service, posted two notes on Facebook about the need for volunteers at the embassy. Students volunteered during the first week of classes.

Gordillo, a native of Lima, was in the region when the earthquake struck and saw the damage in the area firsthand. She started witnessing the relief efforts during her first week of interning at the embassy and decided that AU students might want to volunteer, she said.

"I thought what a better place to try and get help since we are such a politically driven school, and AU students are into service," she said.

In the Facebook notes, Gordillo asked students to make donations of material goods or of their time to help classify and sort items. She wrote that she would provide rides to and from the embassy.

"AU students are very willing to go the extra mile to volunteer with not wanting anything in return - they volunteer for the mere fact of being able to know that they helped out in some way," Gordillo said. "They seem to get a lot of satisfaction in giving their time and energies."

Many people offered to help at the embassy, but scheduling was difficult. One girl, unable to attend collected donations from friends, according to Gordillo.

"[Volunteering] was just as simple as there was something that was needed," said Tomita, a native of Japan. "I think that the emergency relief is very crucial, and I hope that the people over there will get what they need."

More than 100 boxes went through the embassy, Gordillo said.

Theresa Odisio, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and the School of Communication, said she applauded the volunteer work of AU students because it would have far-reaching effects.

"I think that it is great that people are getting involved in the D.C. community, and by volunteering at an embassy like that, you are also helping globally," she said.

The Peruvian Embassy is still accepting monetary donations as well as blankets, tents and medicine. Anyone wishing to donate should call 202-833-9860.