Metro delays price increase

Metro officials proposed raising prices across the board Thursday, but members of Metro's board of directors blocked discussion, saying the increases were too high. Proposals would cost AU students and other riders at least an extra 45 cents on Metrorail and 25 cents on Metrobus.

The changes will go into effect in January if the Metro board decides to implement them.

Metro officials said the fare increases were necessary to prevent a $173 million deficit in the 2008 fiscal year budget caused by soaring fuel prices, expanding services and the rising cost of rail maintenance.

"Services are expanding, and naturally there is more cost involved," said Steven Taub, a Metro spokesperson. "We haven't had a fare increase in four years, and we need a way to significantly reduce our budget."

The current minimum Metro fares are $1.35 for Metrorail and $1.25 for Metrobus. Under the new proposal, minimum fares would increase to $1.80 for Metrorail and $1.50 for Metrobus.

If passed, the Metro hikes will add another economic burden to the already frugal budgets of college students, according to Michael Bilick, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

"I'm on a really tight budget the way it is," Bilick said. "I take the Metro pretty frequently. A fare increase will definitely affect me."

Although the fare increases are on hold until Metro board members meet with Metro General Manager John B. Catoe, Metro officials are encouraging public feedback.

"If anyone is opposed to a fare increase, they can definitely write to us or call us," Taub said. "And if the proposed increases do get approved, the public is welcome to attend the public hearings."

Students like Kathryn Marsh, a junior in School of International Service, and Leigh Harris, a freshman in SIS, are not worried about paying extra for daily commutes.

"I'd rather have a fare hike than have to get a car," Marsh said.

Harris said she would support the fare hike if it made Metro safer or created a better atmosphere for Metro workers.

If the board does not pass the fare hike, Metro officials will have to reassess the 2008 budget, even if that means cutting Metrorail's weekend service hours, according to Taub.

"All proposals are still under consideration, and that includes possibly cutting the Metrorail's Friday and Saturday hours," Taub said. "Right now, everything is on the table to reduce the operating budget cost without having a significant fare increase."

Last year, in an attempt to avoid fare increase, Metro went through "a very difficult reduction in force," Catoe said during an online chat on Metro's Web site last Friday.

"We are now at a point where we must cut service or raise our fares," Catoe said in the online chat. "We are in the business of delivering service, so we must seriously consider fare increases."

The proposed fare increases will provide better service to Metro customers, Taub said, citing better rail maintenance and customer support.

"Customers can ride the rail and bus systems knowing they are getting consistent services from us. They want to get from point A to point B without being concerned with a service disruption," Taub said. "We strive for this day in and day out."

Metro officials plan to accommodate the overcrowded rush-hour trains by adding longer trains during rush hour during these times, adding to the budget's already heavy economic strains, Catoe said.

"We are committed to improving our service, for example, bringing new cars on-line so that we don't have to run four-car trains during peak periods," Catoe said.