D.C. Shorts builds film community

Filmmaker Jon Gann didn't like what he saw on the film festival circuit, so three years ago, he started his own - D.C. Shorts Film Festival, which begins today at the Landmark E Street Cinema.

"I was really disheartened a few years ago that the festival circuit was about parties, and it was not really about the films," said Gann, D.C. Shorts' creative and festival director. "It was definitely not about filmmakers, and people made short films as just kind of afterthoughts. And then I went to one festival that was about community and about meeting people."

That festival was the Ashland Independent Film Festival, held annually in Ashland, Ore. Those running the Ashland festival took care of all the filmmakers there, Gann said. Everyone got to meet each other, form bonds and leave with a couple of new best friends.

"[After going to Ashland] I was like, 'That's what I want,' so that's why I created D.C. Shorts," Gann said. "Our thing is, if you can find your way to Washington, we will house you, we will feed you, we will make sure you get a tour of the city. You'll see every film you want to see, [and] we have a space where you can meet the other filmmakers."

This kind of ethos has given D.C. Shorts a positive reputation around the world, even though the film festival is only on its fourth year. A range of films - 89 selected from a total of 434 submitted - from 14 countries, will be featured at this year's D.C. Shorts.

"We [also] try to stress the local films," Gann said. "Eighteen [short films] are local. There aren't a lot of venues for local filmmakers, [so] we really try to show as many as we can."

In addition to supporting the local arts, Gann said D.C. Shorts hopes to support new technology with the newly-added high-definition short film category. Filmmakers shooting on HD equipment, which is becoming more accessible to the average consumer each year, submitted their work to this particular category and have the chance to see it broadcast on the Discovery HD network.

"A lot of people are shooting on HD, hoping to get that film look," Gann said. "We have friends at the Discovery HD network who are hoping to support something local. They're looking for short-form content. They're looking to redo their network ... they're looking for new camera people, directors and talent."

What's really got Gann excited is the festival's other new feature: a live script reading that involves local actors performing seven different screenplays.

"There are hundreds of screenplay competitions, [but] we're the only one that performs [the screenplays] in front of a live audience," Gann said. "The audience is going to help to choose their favorite [screenplay], and we're going to give [the screenwriters] 3,500 bucks to make their film and show it next year."

Originality is key in being selected for the D.C. Shorts, Gann said. With the advent of the digital camera, anyone with a little money to spend can make a film. But don't expect to be a festival selection without putting some serious thought into the production.

"You can only watch so many people getting shot for no apparent reason, and you can only watch so many spoofs of '24,'" Gann said. "Try to make a film for an audience. That's what Hollywood does."

Festivals do the same thing, Gann added.

"Know who your audience is, and make the film for them," he said.

Tickets for screening sessions are $12. VIP all-access passes, which allow holders to enter all screenings and to attend a filmmaker reception tonight, are $125. For more information, check out dcshorts.com.