A NEW YEAR - Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, speaks at the opening meeting of the College Republicans on Wednesday evening. Norquist emphasized the need to get involved in politics while in college, saying that it must be practiced

Conservative leader speaks to AU College Republicans

CRs reveal plan to campaign in primaries

The AU College Republicans kicked off the semester by welcoming Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, to their first meeting. The club also revealed plans to attend either the New Hampshire or South Carolina presidential primaries.

Norquist discussed the state of partisan politics and his desire to decrease government spending and lower taxes.

"There are two teams in American politics," Norquist said. "Our team is the center right, the majority of Americans, who simply want to be left alone to lead their lives."

Different groups in the "center right" do not need to agree on everything, they just need to agree that people should be free, he said.

"The left is not made up of friends or allies - it's made up of competing parasites," Norquist said. "You're either with freedom or the guys who want to steal stuff and divvy it up."

He urged students to get involved in politics in college, saying political involvement is a skill that must be learned and practiced.

Will Haun, president of the College Republicans, opened the meeting by welcoming new and returning students. The conservative minority at AU is strengthened by debate with the left, he said.

"Only a fool wants to hear the sound of his own voice," Haun said. "Being a conservative on a liberal campus is the greatest advantage we have over our friends on the left."

The College Republicans plan to join the D.C. Federation of College Republicans on a trip to either the South Carolina or New Hampshire presidential primaries. At the primary, the students would have the choice to work on the campaign of the candidate of their choice.

"Being from New York, I'm excited to have the opportunity to work with [former] Mayor [Rudolph] Giuliani on his campaign," said Meghan Dorsey, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs.

Jamie Valerjana said she thought meeting went well and is looking forward to the primaries.

"I'm just really excited that Will has a lot of great ideas for this year," the sophomore in SPA said.

Haun said he was pleased with the turnout at the meeting, especially from freshmen, he said.

"It means there are a lot of Republicans on this campus who need a reason to come out, and we're always going to give it to them," Haun said.

He said his main goal for the year is to start a "conversation on conservatism," with speakers including Ed Mees, the attorney general under Ronald Reagan; Ramesh Ponnuru, editor at the National Review; and former Congressman Tom DeLay, who will speak during Family Weekend.