AU alumna releases 10th book

Review: Bones to Ashes GRADE: A

With her blend of cutting-edge forensic science, nerve-racking suspense and just the right amount of romance and humor, suspense author Kathy Reichs delivers another winner novel.

Reichs, who obtained a bachelor's degree in anthropology from AU, is a forensic anthropologist for the Laboratoire de Sciences Judiciaires et de M?decine L?gale in Quebec and currently serves as the vice president of the American Academy of Forensic Scientists. She is also a professor at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Her life and novels inspired the hit series "Bones" on FOX, which even features replicas of AU.

"Bones to Ashes," released Aug. 28, is the 10th and latest installment in Reichs' series of forensic thrillers featuring Temperance Brennan. For those who have never read any books in the series, Dr. Temperance Brennan is a forensic anthropologist who divides her time between Quebec and North Carolina. No stranger to personal trouble, she's a recovering alcoholic, mother and has been estranged from her husband for several years.

In this latest novel, Brennan takes on the case of an unidentified Acadian skeleton from Quebec's cold case unit. When the bones are determined to be those of an adolescent girl, Brennan is convinced it belongs to her exotic childhood friend, vang?line Landry, who mysteriously disappeared more than 20 years ago.

Now, Brennan must come to terms with vang?line's possible death, while dealing with her on-again, off-again romance with detective Andrew Ryan. Ryan has his hands full with personal problems, and although the two consult each other, there's little romantic involvement and more heartbreak this time around. Meanwhile, Ryan starts an investigation into a series of cold cases - three girls are dead, four are missing - that could be tied to the mysterious bones.

"Bones to Ashes" delves more into Brennan's personal life than Reichs' previous novels. While Brennan usually tries to remain unbiased in the assignments she takes on, this case is personal and very close to her heart. Because the victim may be a childhood friend, flashbacks and memories allow the reader to learn about events that reveal intriguing details about her childhood, which were only hinted in previous novels.

Reichs is one of the few authors in the crime drama genre to bring the reader into the forensic side of solving crimes. Unlike other crime novel genres, Brennan is a forensic anthropologist - not a detective or lawyer - who identifies victims through their bones. Brennan is also easy to relate to. Her life isn't perfect, and she struggles through many of the same obstacles most ordinary people experience.

As usual with Reichs' books, there are dark subjects that have the potential to make some people uncomfortable. There are some gruesome details, and this case does deal with child exploitation. However, it's no worse than some of the scenes shown on television crime shows or depicted in other crime books.

The dialogue is witty and colorful, and the book is well-paced. The novel doesn't stray from the realm of believability, and Reichs' expertise as a forensic anthropologist and her experiences living in Quebec lend Brennan an unshakable credibility.

If you're afraid you will not be able to understand the medical and scientific proceedings, have no fear. Reichs does an excellent job of explaining the different techniques and processes Brennan uses without rambling for pages on end. Reichs' latest novel is a great read that will keep you entertained while waiting for shows like "CSI" and "Bones" to return.