Guide To: Red Line Restaurants

Tryst Caf? 2459 18th St. N.W. Metro: Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan

In the heart of the good-eats megalopolis known as Adams Morgan lies arguably the coolest coffee shop in the district, Tryst. Tryst provides sustenance for all of us who are sick of the homogenized flair of chain coffeehouses. In addition to having incredibly comfortable couches, Tryst serves up a variety of coffeehouse appropriate fare. This includes everything from "chaippucino" and mulled orange juice (both fabulous on a cold night) to various coffee and tea-complementing snacks including bread and brie and turtle cheesecake. All the food and drink served is high quality but won't murder your savings. This high quality to low price ratio is also present in Tryst's sister restaurants: The Diner, which is two doors down from Tryst, and Open City, which is located on Calvert Street around the corner from the Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Metro stop. Tryst is open late (2 a.m.), even during the week, which makes it a prime location to get some studying done while still feeling like you're "going out." Plus, nothing invigorates the mind like a good cup of mud!

Booeymonger 5252 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. Metro: Friendship Heights

Looking for a nearby sandwich fix but can't bring yourself to fork over the EagleBuck$ for the same old Subway? Look no further! Booeymonger has four D.C. area locations, including nearby Chevy Chase. A self-proclaimed "unique delicatessen," Booeymonger sandwiches not only break the mold, but are tasty as well. While deli standards such as the ruben and Italian sandwiches are present, sandwiches such as The Georgetowner (turkey, avocado and alfalfa sprouts), the Miami Burger (toasted bagel with lox and cream cheese, tomato and onions) and the Gatsby Arrow (roast beef, brie, lettuce and tomato) are unlikely to show up at most other sandwich shops. Most of their eight-inch sandwiches are under $6 but still ravish the taste buds and have earned awards to prove it, including Washingtonian magazine's Best Place for Sandwiches.

Morty's Delicatessan 4260 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. Metro: Tenleytown

Just down the street from the shuttle stop lies the best Jewish deli an AU student can get to without going to New York City. Serving such ethnic delicacies as latkes, challah French toast, tongue sandwiches and matzo ball soup, it's no wonder the walls are decorated with photographs of important-looking customers whose last names range from Berger to Weiss. The low-key, diner-style restaurant is a marvelous place to go on a Sunday morning for brunch with some of your friends; it sure beats waiting until 11 a.m. to chew the repetitive TDR cud. Morty's is also a brilliant place to cure a hangover, as the servers never allow your coffee mug to empty, keeping you perky enough to go forth with your long day of reading ahead.

Tastee Diner 7731 Woodmont Ave. Metro: Bethesda

This "tastee" oasis serves more than its share of hearty old-fashioned American cuisine. The menu contains overwhelmingly fried and fatty foods - hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries, onion rings and milkshakes - all the goods to soothe and consequently turn the stomach. Located within four blocks of the Bethesda Metro stop and open until the wee hours, it's an ideal eatery after taking in a movie at one of the various theaters nearby. Tastee Diner appeals especially to those who crave a homey experience - the atmosphere is very casual and the servers are as sassy as (or sassier than) your mama. Come here to have a snack, celebrate a birthday dinner, or to simply eat your pent-up frustrations with academia.

Fractured Prune 2153 P St. N.W. Metro: Dupont Circle

The only metro area location of this donut and sandwich chain, Fractured Prune in Dupont Circle is a must-go for anyone who appreciates a donut out of the ordinary. Customers can create their own donuts by choosing glazes and toppings. For the less creative, the menu boasts a variety of specialty donuts, including: Trail Mix (banana, nuts, coconuts, sprinkles), Creamsicle (orange, powdered sugar), and Ms. Prunella (mixed berries, cinnamon). Possibly the greatest aspect of the Prune is the customer service. If it's your first time there, the person at the counter will yell out "First timer!" so that everyone can hear, customers and staff alike. The Prune also makes for a wonderful working space because of the free Internet access and the peaceful ambiance (aside from the occasional first-time customer yell). Since the majority of the foot traffic around Dupont Circle is several blocks north of the Prune, it's never so busy that the clientele become distracting while you write your research paper.