Guide To: Record Stores

When Revolution Records closed its doors last September just two months after Capital City Records' demise, it seemed as though small stores with big personality were dropping like flies in the summer heat. Though the ever-shrinking D.C. independent record store community has suffered yet another loss, there are still a few tiny indie shops left for perusing. While Best Buy may have all the new releases and the Internet all the variety in the world, there's nothing like the feeling of plucking that great lost session by your favorite obscure band from the cluttered racks of a storefront stashed among some of the District's most vibrant communities. Besides, you can't buy the satisfaction of exercising your purchasing power where it really counts.

CD/Game Exchange (Tenleytown) 4533 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. 202-966-8307

Conveniently located a shuttle-ride away from AU's campus, this store has a wide array of used and new CDs and video games. The cluttered, compact store may prove challenging to the casual browser, but it is possible to find a dirt-cheap gem here and there if you know what you're looking for. The store is also a great place to unload some of those collection-defacing bubblegum pop albums before buying more, provided the store finds your trash a treasure. As such, the shelves of the store's other locations in Adams Morgan, Rockville and Silver Spring are a product of the community and would be worth checking out for those who value the thrill of the hunt.

CD Warehouse (Georgetown) 3001 M St. N.W. 202-625-7101 www.myspace.com/thinkinground

Located on the corner of M and 30th streets on Georgetown's main drag, this tiny shop is easily lost among the area's mix of fashionable retail and restaurants. Though smaller than most record stores, CD Warehouse's selection does not suffer from it, offering used albums and new releases, an array of jazz and world music, as well as electronic and a few punk and alternative favorites. What the store lacks in vinyl - there's none to be found - it makes up for in its selection of used DVDs, mostly popular movies or TV series.

Crooked Beat Records (Adams Morgan) 2318 18th St. N.W. www.crookedbeat.com

Easily the best record store left in the District, Crooked Beat's subterranean shop is located in the lower level of what used to be a brownstone on Adams Morgan's liveliest street. Specializing in classic rock, punk, hardcore, indie and everything in-between, the store and staff clearly love music and are sure to please even the most discerning music geek. They also have great used vinyl and CDs, some as cheap as $4 or less. But what makes this D.C. favorite stand out is its relatively large section devoted to local music - everything Dischord issued or the District spawned. Ever devoted to the little guy treading his own path, the shop also hosts the occasional in-store performance by local artists.

Melody Records (Dupont Circle) 1623 Connecticut Ave. N.W. 202-232-4002 www.melodyrecords.com

Located one block up and to the right of the Dupont Circle Metro stop, Melody Records is one of the city's more easily accessible record stores. The shop is always well stocked with new releases from hip hop to bluegrass, and though it's a bit pricier than other independents, it still beats mainstream chain prices. The staff is attentive and more than happy to special order any titles missing in-store. Independently owned for 30 years and counting, Melody must be doing something right.