Guide To: Movies on the Cheap

For each independent step a college student takes, he or she can expect to shoulder a new burden. All those independent steps-living without parental authority and, well, that pretty much sums it up-are coupled accordingly with new burdens.

One such burden is that which comes with living on your own cash reserves, not your parents'. And another is finding cheap entertainment in the city. Free entertainment is even better.

To make that free entertainment search a little less difficult, The Eagle has compiled a short list of free film series that are offered in D.C. throughout the year.

Some, like Screen On The Green, provide a great lineup of classic films on a not-too-frequently-used screening space. Other selections are perhaps less exciting than that. (A free movie series on The Marshall Plan, anyone?) But, hey, you get what you pay for.

Screening Shakespeare

This Library of Congress-hosted film series has been running since April 20 and features the works of William Shakespeare as adapted by filmmakers for both movie theaters and television sets.

The film series wraps up on Aug. 31 with a screening of "She's The Man," the Amanda Bynes-starring adaptation of Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night." Between the first freshman move-in day (Aug. 17) and the "She's The Man" screening, there are six other films that showcase more recent adaptations of Shakespeare, including "10 Things I Hate About You," "Titus" and "Hamlet" featuring Ethan Hawke.

Screenings are held in the Mary Pickford Theatre, which can be found on the third floor of the Library of Congress' James Madison building. Though the screenings are free, reservations must be made one week in advance in order to attend. Call 202-707-5677 to make a reservation.

For more information on the film series, visit ShakespeareinWashington.org.

American University's Human Rights Film Series

For the eighth year, AU will host its Human Rights Film Series. Examining how film and video can bring the world's attention to various human rights violations, the film series will feature, among other selections, the documentaries "Devil's Miner," winner of the Best Documentary Special Mention at the Tribeca Film Festival, and "Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars," winner of the Documentary Award at the American Film Institute's festival.

The film series runs from Oct. 3 until Nov. 8. Films will be screened at the Washington College of Law and the Wechsler Theatre, which is located on the third floor of the Mary Graydon Center. For the film series schedule and screening times, visit centerforsocialmedia.org and check out the Web site's events listing. For more information, call AU's Center for Social Media at 202-885-3107.

Selling Democracy

The 1948 Smith-Mundt Act prevents American citizens from being exposed to any propaganda. Sounds like a law that everyone might agree on, right?

Unless, of course, you ever want to attend a public screening of the propaganda films that the Marshall Plan's Motion Picture Section and the Documentary Film Unit of the U.S. Office of Military Government created in hopes of stimulating European reconstruction in the wake of World War II.

Thanks to Sandra Schulberg, Selling Democracy's organizer, these films are now available for public viewing. She first premiered her retrospective in 2004. The series, now in its third tour of the States, will start at the National Archives on Oct. 17 and run until Oct. 20.

For more information, call the National Archives at 202-357-5000.

Screen On The Green

For anyone who decides to stick around D.C. next summer, Screen On The Green will surely provide some excellent, Monday night entertainment.

Each summer, typically during the months of July and August, HBO sets up a giant movie theater screen on the National Mall and screens a series of classic and sci-fi movies. This past summer's series included "Annie Hall," "The Thing (From Another World)" and "Casablanca."

While the list of films featured for next year's Screen On The Green won't be available for some time, hopeful attendants should be advised to bring lawn chairs, bug spray and plenty of snacks. Oh, and feel free to arrive early. People start gathering on the Mall around 5 p.m. Screenings start at sunset.