Guide To: Local Bands

Sure, AU is a great school; practically a filter-feeder into all those low-ranking, underpaid government jobs some freshmen were probably dreaming of during those 10-minute breaks during five-hour standardized tests. But for others, the dream lives in the bowels of the District, far from the marbled Mall and Capitol's shadows, among the throbbing throng of musty, music fanatics hitting U Street under the stars, governed by a force other than a parent-imposed curfew. A few of the unofficial music leaders of the District, the literal movers and shakers, are briefly introduced here. By no means an all-inclusive guide, consider this an aid to those first few steps off the beaten path and into this city's soul.

The Aquarium www.aquariummusic.com Latest release: "The Aquarium" (Dischord)

Against all odds, this guitar-less duo makes quite a scene onstage. With just a Wurlitzer and drums, Jason Hutto and Laura Harris deliver manic-euphoric lounge music in the vein of grunge with carnival flair. Whether it's sleepy, off-kilter odes to odious roommates, instrumental themes or power-pop songs played with electrified keys rather than strings, Hutto and Harris throw themselves into their frenzied music like the thrashing punks of yesteryear that inspired them - and signed them; their eponymous debut was released by Dischord in late 2006.

Bad Brains www.badbrains.com Latest release: "Build a Nation" (Megaforce)

The incendiary quartet that gave the likes of Black Flag and Dead Kennedys a run for their status has resurrected itself after 20 years of failed side projects and fruitless forays into Rastafarian evangelism following their mid-'80s implosion. Now, back on track and on the road, Bad Brains returns to their hard-rocking roots on "Build a Nation," much to the relief of fans turned off by front man H.R.'s reggae-filled, Falwell-ian rants. While the band hasn't completely washed its hands of reggae and Caribbean patois, guitarist Dr. Know and bassist Darryl Jenifer have retained their technical proficiency and punk attitude, reminding fans why Bad Brains was poised for a big takeover all those years ago.

The Evens www.theevens.com Latest Record: "Get Evens" (Dischord)

As Fugazi's "hiatus" continues, Dischord's leading man Ian MacKaye and former Warmer Amy Farina continue to stay visible - and vocal - in the scene they helped create. This time, though, MacKaye softens his battle cry to a more civilized, intimate volume and takes the edge off his guitar, while Farina provides the heartbeat that gives their music its quiet intensity. After their first album tackled gentrification and other District community issues, the duo is back again to take on Bush and his politically out-of-step administration with 2006's "Get Evens."

Mass Movement of the Moth www.mmmbrains.com Latest release: "Outerspace" (Exotic Fever)

If any one has ever complained that all music sounds the same today, they have not heard this sonically complex quartet. Their innovative driving-guitars-layered-over-pounding-synths harmonies switches tempo, pitch and genre on a dime and bodes well for the future of hardcore and post-punk - they were featured in the May issue of Alternative Press. One could read 100 reviews of this band, but seeing is believing. Luckily, the band is one of the most active in D.C.

Scanner Freaks www.scannerfreaks.com Debut release upcoming

With little more than a year and a dozen shows under their belt, this post-punk quintet is already stirring up quite a reaction in the District. While their sound is rife with comparisons to D.C.'s hardcore progenitors, these Freaks manage to graft their own mix of sweaty garage rock and snarling punk shout-alongs into their two-minute tunes, reminding Washingtonians what it's like to have fun with rock 'n' roll. After nailing a much coveted spot on Fort Reno's bill this past July, the boys are poised to hit D.C. clubs and crowds hard in the year to come.

These United States www.theseunitedstates.net Debut release upcoming

A loose confederation of modern-day bohemians afflicted with verbal diarrhea, this band has perfected both beautiful ballads and rollicking ditties that reek of mountainous turnpikes and storms to come. Peddling gypsy blues of the alt-country persuasion, their sound is at once wistful and down-to-earth, unusual for a band hailing from this East Coast city. Currently on tour, TUS will ramble through the area in late August before heading to Europe for the remainder of the fall.