Guide To: Creepy D.C.

With Smithsonian's American History Museum closed for renovation, we're now free to explore the darker side of American history with these lesser-known treasures. Best of all, these peculiar pieces of history sit practically in our own backyard, away from the touristy hustle of the Mall.

Church of Scientology of Washington, D.C. 1701 20th St. N.W. Metro: Dupont Circle (red line) Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. for tours/information sessions. No appointment necessary.

Don't pay attention to mainstream media; learn about Scientology straight from the source. Experience the E-Meter and other fascinating religious artifacts at Scientology's founding location in Dupont Circle. The office of L. Ron Hubbard, whose spiritual journey "effectively began in the first decades of the 20th century with his befriending of indigenous Blackfoot Indians," according to the church's Web site, is preserved behind sliding glass doors. A word to the wise: the purported 15-minute tour may last for two hours.

The House of the Temple of the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite 1733 16th St. N.W. Metro: Dupont Circle (red line) Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. the first Saturday of every month.

If campus doesn't provide enough Greek life, why not check out the largest fraternal organization in the world? The Scottish Rite Masons are located in an imposing temple that houses a large library and museum which chronicle Mason history. Be on the lookout for secret handshakes (and read our feature on these Masons, located on this page).

House Where Lincoln Died 516 10th St. N.W. Metro: Metro Center (red line) Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day except Christmas. Free.

Guess what: the bed featured in the room where Lincoln died is a fake; the real one is owned by the Chicago Historical Society. No bloodstained pillows here. But with no entrance fee, at least you can walk through this historic home (located across from the infamous Ford's Theater) as many times as you want.

Decatur House 1610 H St. N.W. Metro: Farragut North (red line) Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

One of the oldest homes in D.C., the Decatur House was built in 1818 for Stephen Decatur, a naval hero. Decatur died in this house when he was wounded in a duel; it is said that his ghost haunts this historic home. Tours are offered every hour at quarter past the hour and last about 45 minutes with a $5 suggested donation. Finish your tour with a trip to the gift shop, which contains a Kennedy family paper doll set and a presidents sticker book, among other things.

Most Haunted Houses Walking Tour Exact address undisclosed until tickets are purchased, see: www.zerve.com/WashWalks/HauntedH Metro: Farragut North (red line) or Farragut West (blue and orange lines) Hours: 7 p.m. Wednesdays, lasts for two hours.

This tour is shrouded in mystery from the very beginning, with the tour's exact starting location left undisclosed until the $10 tickets are purchased. Fun fact: the walk ends with what the tour agency calls the most haunted house in the city, the Octagon.