Guide To: Alternative Welcome Week Events

Friday, August 17

Evil Disco Dance Party 9:30 p.m. Black Cat 1811 14th St. N.W. Metro: U Street/Cardozo (green line)

DJ Hey Sailor! offers up D.C.'s "loudest" and "lewdest" dance party for free on the back stage. Don't tell Mom and Dad!

Allah Made Me Funny 8:30 p.m. Riot Act Comedy Club 1610 14th St. N.W. Metro: U Street/Cardozo (green line)

Preacher Moss and Azhar Usman deliver stand-up that bridges intolerance in a post-9/11 world, whatever that means. Tickets are $20, available from Riot Act's Web site.

Saturday, August 18

Mousetrap: Britpop dance night 9:30 p.m. Black Cat

The Cure, The Smiths and The Stone Roses make appearances on the turntable at this massive dance party. $10 well spent for an evening on the Black Cat's main stage.

Coupe Mondiale World Accordion Championships 6 p.m. Kennedy Center Millennium Stage 2700 F St. N.W. Metro: Foggy Bottom/GWU (blue and orange lines)

The Kennedy Center describes this as accordions "taking the Millennium Stage by storm." We make no promises. Take the free shuttle from the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro stop.

Thursday, August 23

Less Than Jake with Streetlight Manifesto Doors open at 7 p.m. 9:30 club 815 V St. N.W. Metro: U Street/Cardozo (green line)

How much are tickets for these ska-punk favorites? Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up for $20 at the door.

Dana Thomas 7 p.m. Politics and Prose 5015 Connecticut Ave. N.W. Metro: 15-minute walk from Tenleytown-AU and Van Ness-UDC (red line)

Dana Thomas, a journalist and the author of "Deluxe," a look inside branding and the luxury industry, will make an appearance as part of Politics and Prose's event series.

Friday, August 24

The Lowdown: Hip Hop, Funk, Disco w/ Lunch Money 9:30 p.m. Black Cat

With a total cost of nothing, it's hard for dance fans to go wrong with this backstage dance party at the Cat.

"Stranger than Paradise" 10 p.m. AFI Silver

AFI celebrates 1980s film with this black and white tale from director Jim Jarmusch about a New York hipster and his Hungarian cousin.

Saturday, August 25

1 Year Anniversary Party, hosted by Andrew W.K. 9 p.m. Rock and Roll Hotel 1353 H St. N.E. Metro: Union Station (red line)

For $20, be prepared to party hard at the hotel's birthday blowout. Several bands, including The Whips, and guest DJs join infamous partier Andrew W.K. for a night of celebration.

Sunday, August 26

Beach House w/ Papercuts 8 p.m. Rock and Roll Hotel

Baltimore's folk-influenced electronic duo Beach House (who, for some reason, refuse to describe their music as "folktronica") plays a $10 show at the hotel.