Bjork Charms California With New Songs, Flags

It is a rare opportunity to see Bjork, the strange and indulgent Icelandic music queen, perform. This year, the talented and much-adored icon only played eight shows across the United States to promote her newest album "Volta," which was released May 8.

In a metallic gold dress and headband and similar silver leggings, Bjork gallantly strode onto the stage at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, Calif., May 19. In true Bjork fashion, she began dancing wildly while her 10-piece brass back-up band, affectionately dubbed "the 10 Icelandic girls," started the lively opening number and first track off "Volta," "Earth Intruders." The female brass army wore red, yellow and blue garbage-like bags and painted their faces to keep in theme with Bjork's glittery ensemble. Multi-colored flags with different amphibians and nature symbols served as the backdrop for the extremely colorful performance, which also utilized fantastical lighting effects to showcase the breadth of the technology used during the show.

Of "Volta," Bjork's critics and fans deliver mixed reviews. Rolling Stone quips, "It's not as gripping or cohesive as her best stuff," while Dot Music claims, "It's probably Bjork's most succinct and inventive statement yet." Bjork fans, of which there are many, argue that the album seems unfinished after the first few tracks, saying that some of the experimental tracks are lost to the wind, yet her ballads remain distinctively her own. Despite differences in opinion concerning her new record, everybody agrees that Bjork puts on one hell of a show. Fans traveled from all over the country, and some from across the border, to see her in California. A fan from Mexico said that when Bjork began her second song, "The Aeroplane," "the brass went on, and it was magical."

Out of a total of 18 songs played, she chose an excellent variety that pleased fans old and new. Out of the 10 tracks on "Volta", Bjork performed six: "Earth Intruders," "Dull Flame of Desire," "I See Who You Are," "Innocence," "Wanderlust," and "Declare Independence." Of course she could not neglect her longstanding fans, and she also performed many stalwart classics: "All Is Full of Love," "Pagan Poetry," "Army of Me," and "HyperBallad." From her 2004 release "Medulla," she included "The Pleasure Is All Mine" and in her encore, "Oceania," which she also performed at the opening ceremony for the 2004 Winter Olympics.

The show lasted approximately 80 minutes, which seems like a short length for someone of her caliber who is only scheduled for eight shows. The duration of her public exercise merits some perspective, however, considering that her performance was akin to an advanced cardiovascular workout. Conversely, opening act Joanna Newsom took the stage for nearly 50 minutes; her infamous ballads can reach upwards of 10 minutes each. Joanna Newsom, a freak folk artist who is often compared to Bjork, was the perfect opening act. In a petite and ornate knit dress, Newsom tightly gripped her Harp's strings while stretching her own unique vocal chords, which is most like a beautiful, melodic whine. Newsom had the unnecessary accompaniment of a guitar, violin and single bass drum. Each fell flat and served only as a backdrop to the overwhelming idyll that Newsom created with her voice and fingers alone.

As is typical with twenty-somethings from small town California, she won over the crowd with her charming demeanor, pointing out the glorious state of the moon that evening and softly chirping "thank you" as soon as she finished a piece.

Bjork, too, seemed appreciative of the audience. She expressed her gratitude in different languages, once sputtering out "Muchas gracias," much to the delight of the fan from Mexico.

Little can be said about the captivating power that Bjork holds while performing, except that not a member of the audience left the venue that night without a buzz.