Nebraska Hall will open in the fall for housing.

Students tour Nebraska

Nebraska Hall is in the process of being renovated into a residence hall with apartment-style living that includes single rooms and a living room with a kitchen. The hall is scheduled to open in fall 2007, The Eagle previously reported.

The hall "will provide students with another type of living experience," said Prakash Karnani, assistant director of Housing and Dining Programs operations. "It will be off-campus independence with programming."

Karnani provided more information on the apartments, which will have two resident assistants, to The Eagle during a tour of the construction zone.

Each apartment will have a bathroom, kitchen, living room and a vanity area near the bathroom that includes a sink. The bedrooms will have blackout curtains over the windows.

There are lounges on each floor, including a large one on the terrace level and smaller ones near each elevator and staircase. There will also be laundry rooms on every floor.

The outside of the building will be rebricked and new windows will be installed in May, Karnani said.

Currently, the third floor has the most rooms near completion, as construction began on the top floor. However, there are still many exposed wires and unfinished walls.

Currently, Karnani said construction is on schedule and the building will be completed on or before July 30, and open for student use Aug. 17, when the other residence halls open.

However, he said there is always a slim possibility that construction can be delayed. Karnani said if that happens, his office does have contingency plans.

Freda Guzey, assistant university architect, also said the construction will be finished on time.

"The intent is to finish on time," she said. "The hall will be ready for occupation."

Apartments include two, three or four bedrooms and were assigned during room draw from a lottery system, based on credits and years of on-campus living, The Eagle previously reported.

Erek Alper, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences who will be living in the hall next fall, was on the tour because he "wanted to see the inside dimensions of the building." He said he was unsure of the dimensions and wanted to see "what he [could] fit in there"