Dull 'First Snow' lacks originality, strong focus

"First Snow" is a disappointing project from start to finish. There are elements of a good movie inside of it, but the plot has been done to death and it just comes across as stale. The biggest problem with the movie is that it tries to be existential, pulls off the thrilleresque moments only marginally well and has random injections of comedy that seem out of place. The result is a film that drags, doesn't feel consistent and makes use of a plot contrivance that gets very old very fast.

That plot contrivance is what sets the movie in motion. Jimmy's (Guy Pearce) car breaks down, which leads him to visit a roadside psychic while it's repaired. He initially laughs off the psychic as hokey, but when predictions start coming true he wonders how he'll be able to fight off the last one - that he'll only live until the first snow. Normally this wouldn't freak him out since he lives in New Mexico and the idea of it snowing there is ridiculous, but it just happens to be the coldest winter on record and the chances of snow increase every day. For good measure, a disgruntled ex-coworker and a former friend who went to prison when the FBI raided their business are thrown into the mix, supposedly adding to the tension, but just bogging the film down even more with ridiculous subplots.

The acting is only so-so. Pearce hasn't been able to top his turn in "Memento" despite several attempts, although it's nice to see him getting back to his indie roots. Still, he plays the sleazy fast talker pretty well, especially considering he has to throw on an American accent to do so. He's also adept at showing the audience a man that comes dangerously close to the edge before finally realizing what exactly his situation is. Piper Perabo works as window dressing for the film, although her role is limited to second-guessing Pearce's character and making him feel bad for attempting to change his future.

The other two actors worth mentioning are perennial "That Guy's" - J.K. Simmons and William Fitchner. Simmons plays the psychic who informs Pearce of his fate and puts in a quiet performance compared to his boisterous J. Jonah Jameson from the "Spider-Man" series while Fitchner acts as the comic relief, lightening the mood when Pearce's performance brings it down too far.

Acting aside, there really isn't much to say about this film because the concept is so played out that the story can be told beat for beat from the very beginning. Its coloring is nice at times but it doesn't do much for the film aside from making it look good and that ultimately isn't enough to save this movie.

It would be nice if this movie wasn't widely released and thus, saved many of the people involved a lot of embarrassment and more reviews like this. Its bucket has been kicked.