Trailer Park awaits surefire summer blockbusters

All I can say at the start of this week's Trailer Park is... it's about time! Several studios finally released trailers for films that I know I've been looking forward to and you should too.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"

Walt Disney Pictures

May 25

Before I start on this one, a brief word of warning: I've been waiting a long time for Disney to drop a trailer for this film, probably too long. In addition, I was one of the only people who genuinely enjoyed the second film, so the chances of me giving the third film a good outlook is high. However, after seeing the trailer, I feel fully justified in praising this film. It just looks like a tremendous swashbuckling action flick that will set off the summer season with a bang. Moreover, they have increased the already amazing supporting cast (especially Bill Nighy as Davy Jones) with the inclusion of Chow Yun-Fat. Seriously, who doesn't like Chow Yun-Fat? Say what you will about the second film - too long, too many climaxes, blah blah blah - these films have been a steady source of action years, and the third one should have no problems living up to that standard.

"Ratatouille"

Disney/Pixar

June 29

"Incredibles" director Brad Bird has returned to Pixar to direct this new film about a rat living in Paris who wants nothing more than to become a chef, much to the chagrin of his garbage-eating family and the restaurateurs. Bird has had a miraculous hand with animated films, going all the way back to 1999's "The Iron Giant," so it looks like Pixar will continue its winning streak. His previous work had elements that worked for younger and older audiences, so there shouldn't be much fear of being bored out of one's mind or feeling out of place in this animated film. I highly recommend this for graduated seniors on the verge of breakdown at the end of June.

"Stardust"

Paramount Pictures

August 10

"Stardust," based on the Neil Gaiman ("Sandman") novel, is the story of Tristan Thorne, who journeys into Faerie to find a fallen star and in doing so, has a fantastic adventure that leads him hither, thither and yon. And all the while, he's chased by witches and princes. For those who have read the book, I have good news, bad news and then even better news. The good news is that fans of Gaiman's novel finally have a film to match it. The bad news is that it looks like they've changed many elements of the novel in order to make a film out of it. The even better news is that Gaiman has had a hand in the production of this movie and has touted its quality on several occasions. Truthfully, the changes made appear necessary to make Tristan's tale a little harder and more adaptable to the big screen. All in all, "Stardust" looks like it will more than please fans of the novel and those entering Gaiman's universe for the first time.

"The Golden Compass"

New Line Cinema

Dec. 7

OK, so I'm cheating a bit on this one. It wasn't a trailer so much as leaked footage with incomplete CG work, but it did give a taste of the look and feel the filmmakers are shooting for. As far as I can tell, it looks bang-on. The casting seems perfect and fans of the book can breathe a sigh of relief because it looks like the screenwriters left in the more serious overtones, despite the possible religious backlash. My only concern is that they won't take the time to do the CG elements properly and it will come off looking cartoonish. That said, they still have another six months to complete effects work, so here's hoping they can get all the pieces together and make a film to rival "Lord of the Rings"