Out with old, in with new

Spring music selections to melt your winter blues away

Spring has finally sprung. While students pack away their pea coats and scarves, why not also replace wintry soundtracks with more seasonal, jovial albums? Here are a few frosty favorites that can be retired from the everyday rotation, and some fresh new releases to begin rocking out to this spring.

Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Stadium Arcadium"

In May 2006, Red Hot Chili Peppers put out this hugely successful double album, which was met eagerly and enthusiastically by fans and critics alike. The first single, "Dani California," preaches the themes that Anthony Kiedis has made us familiar with: broken love and California. Soon after, "Tell Me Baby" and "Snow (Hey Oh)" became popular tracks to casually mumble the lyrics to. Earlier this year, the album received five Grammys. So step aside Chili Peppers, because we're ready for a new sound, and you've had too many moments in the sun.

Justin Timberlake

"FutureSex/ LoveSounds"

Justin has returned from his vacation, and all of America knows that he has brought "sexy" back with him. The magnum hit "Sexyback" has taken on an ego of its own, leaving other hits, "What Goes Around" and "My Love" and most of the electronically experimental "FutureSex/LoveSounds" in the dust. Ironically, though, nobody really cared about Justin's sappy second attempt to reestablish his musical prowess. The constant mention of love, sex and ladies is enough to make any listener of R&B gag. Therefore, out with the sickly electronica beats of JT!

The Knife

"Silent Shout"

Everyone's done hearing about The Knife, right? After Pitchforkmedia named "Silent Shout" Album of the Year out of the blue last year, they started popping up on countless low profile blogs' top 50 lists. Although the album is rather innovative and takes a dark spin on electronica and vocoded vocals, it didn't quite deserve the wave of acclaim that it garnered after the pat on the head by Pitchfork's magic wand. Plus the album's foreboding tone is certainly more fitting to brittle cold winds than to sparkling spring breezes.

Listen to these spritely releases while tanning that winter complexion on the quad:

LCD Soundsystem

"Sound of Silver"

LCD Soundsystem proves that the recent hybrid of punk, indie and disco spearheaded by bands like The Rapture and !!! (chik chik chik) is anything but a fad and is here to stay. While their debut album was more of a collection of ace singles, with "The Sound of Silver" they achieve an ace album full of songs good enough to be singles that flow together much better than the debut.

Peter Bjorn and John

"Writer's Block"

The Swedish trio Peter Bjorn and John's third album, "Writers Block," came out last year, but it's only starting to really get some attention. More so, the album's nimble rhythms and cheerful melodies are the perfect soundtrack for springtime. Peter Bjorn and John are on their way around a massive tour of the U.S. and will be swinging by D.C.'s own 9:30 club on April 30, so you might want to consider checking that out as a fun way to kick start summer - or maybe as a precursor to exam week.

RJD2

"The Third Hand"

If anybody knows about resurrection, it's RJD2, or Ramble John "RJ" Krohn, a Philadelphia-based hip-hop producer turned up-and-coming indie breakthrough artist. Though still active on his turntables, as witnessed in concert last week, he approaches crowds nowadays with a guitar in his arms and a microphone to his lips. Tracks such as "You Never Had It So Good" and "Work It Out" cling slightly to hip-hop roots, but "Laws of The Gods" and "Just When" aim to reach a completely new audience. And since spring is a time of rebirth, help RJ and yourself out by listening to this sweet original album.