Health Center receives vaccine despite delay

The Student Health Center's shipment of the HPV vaccine Gardasil arrived on March 22 after being on back order for several weeks, according to Daniel Bruey, Student Health Center director.

The vaccine shipment, which The Eagle previously reported, was originally scheduled to arrive by the end of February, will start to be administered the week of April 2, according to Bruey.

Gardasil is "the first vaccine developed to prevent cervical cancer and other diseases in females caused by certain types of HPV," according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Bruey said the Student Health Center is excited to offer this vaccine to women. The Student Health Center had intentions to acquire the vaccine since it was first approved, he said.

Deandra Morse, a freshman in the School of International Service, said she was impressed by the Health Center's work.

"I think it is really great that the Student Health Center is making an effort to provide women with resources to protect themselves," she said. "Students should really take advantage of the availability of the HPV vaccine on campus."

The HPV vaccine is given in a series of three shots over a six-month period, according to the CDC.

The Student Health Center will charge $150 for each shot, according to its Web site. Students must pay for the injections before they receive them, according to the Web site.

According to the CDC, some insurance companies will cover the vaccine, while others may not.

The Student Health Center does not bill insurance companies but can provide the recipient of the injection with a receipt to aid in the reimbursement process of the vaccine cost from their health insurance agency, according to its Web site.

This upcoming week, several Health Center staff members will attend the three-day Contraceptive Technology Conference, where Bruey said they will "receive additional information and education on the HPV vaccine as well as the latest updates in contraception."

"The FDA has licensed the HPV vaccine as safe and effective," the CDC said.

It recommends the vaccine for women aged 9 to 26 with studies showing no serious side effects from the vaccine.

To learn more about HPV or the vaccine, students can contact the Student Health Center.