The Porcini Tortelloni and other delectable pastas stand out at this Italian ristorante in Georgetown.

Affordable eatery offers upscale dining experience

Papa*Razzi pleases with exceptional food, service

Papa*Razzi

1066 Wisconsin Ave. N.W.

(202) 298-8000

Entrees $10 to $22

Grade: A

Most AU students avoid super trendy Georgetown because it's rough on their wallets. It is especially difficult to find an affordable spot for a romantic night out. Fortunately, Papa*Razzi is nestled right between Filomena Ristorante and Nathan's, two of the most upscale Italian eateries on Wisconsin Avenue.

Papa*Razzi offers a thriftier option for authentic Italian fare without sacrificing any ambiance or flavor. Even better, the service is outstanding, attentive and friendly. From the moment guests walk in, they are treated as if they're in a much more expensive restaurant. The atmosphere is elegant, yet relaxed, and it makes for a very enjoyable dining experience.

The thing that really sets the restaurant apart is its attention to detail. From the creative layout of the menu and the chili flavored olive oil to the pretty garnishes and the cinnamon stick with dessert, there is just enough flourish to enhance the meal without distracting from it.

But the food is delicious enough to really speak for itself. From salads and pasta to calzones and wood-fired specialty pizzas, the restaurant features all the traditional favorites and is sure to have something to please every palate.

Start with the restaurant's award-winning Caesar salad or the Insalata di Campo, mixed greens with dried cranberries, tomatoes and Gorgonzola in balsamic vinaigrette. Move on to the Gamberi Allo Spiedo, grilled gulf shrimp with braised spinach and lemon vinaigrette or the Bruchetta Mozzarella, a modern twist on traditional bruschetta.

The thin crust on the wood-fired specialty pizzas is perfectly crisp, and although many of the options are simple, they are a nice balance of fully developed flavors.

But it is the pasta that really stands out. The Gnocchi di Sorrento melts in the mouth and the Porcini Tortelloni has incredible flavor. The Rigatoni con Luganega, with sausage, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes and caramelized onions, has just the right amount of spice and the Cavatappi Affumicati, with roasted eggplant, roma tomatoes, smoked mozzarella and romano, will please any vegetarian.

Although there are many options for dessert, including homemade sorbet, most people will gravitate toward one of two things. First, the chocolate layer cake is outstanding and will hold up to anything the Italian grannies at Filomena can churn out. Second, the Fruta - fresh fruit with caramel sauce, cinnamon and vanilla ice cream - is to die for. No wonder the staff calls it the house specialty.

If that's not enough to make it the perfect date night, then the flat-screen television sets behind the bar will seal the deal. Now patrons don't even need to miss the big game. With March Madness in full swing, what's more romantic than that?