U.S. colleges changing image to attract more male students

AU not bothered that women outnumber men on campus

Women outnumber men in enrollment at many top universities, leading some schools to change their images to attract more men, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. But AU administrators said they see no problem with women making up a majority of the university student body, according to Acting Director of Admissions Cristan Trahey.

"We continue to judge applicants on the basis of their academic merit, extracurricular interests and overall fit with regard to the spirit of our institution," Trahey said. "While we are aware of the efforts of other schools to increase their male population, we do not participate in these same initiatives."

While there are fewer men than women currently enrolled in colleges, the number of men is increasing. The only difference is that women are enrolling at a faster rate, according to the Chronicle.

This discrepancy in the numbers of men and women going to college is not a result of university policies, but rather the students themselves, according to the American Council on Education. A report the Council published last year showed that more women than men take college preparatory courses in high school.

The Chronicle's report suggested the gap may be more race- and class-based than gender-based. The gender gap is most prominent among low-income families, but fades away for families with higher incomes, the Chronicle reported.

Still, not only are more women enrolling in college, they're beating men once they get there, according to the Chronicle.

"College women earn better grades, hold more leadership posts, spend more time studying and earn more honors and awards," the Chronicle said. "They report being more involved than young men in student clubs and volunteer work."

Michael Bates, a freshman in the School of International Service, said he does not feel the imbalance affects him in class.

"It has not affected my schooling at all here," Bates said. "While it's obvious that there are more girls, it doesn't really change the atmosphere."

Hanna Grene, a freshman in SIS, also said she does not mind the gender discrepancy.

"I love it because I'm not here to date; I'm here to get work done," Grene said.

Socially, the gender gap can prove difficult for both males and females, according to the Chronicle. Men may find themselves only hanging out with women, and the women joke about needing to find a boyfriend before they are all taken.

"At a lot of campuses where my friends go to school, it's hard to have guy friends because you're immediately datable material," Grene said.

Bates, who is single, said he does not find that the imbalance improves his chances.

"The ratio only escalates the monumental quality of my failure," Bates said.