The NBA in Vegas means everyone wins

I was sick over the weekend and was lucky enough to stay in and watch 72 hours of the NBA's All-Star weekend from Las Vegas.

However, I first have to comment on the shocking elimination of Mr. Boston on "I Love New York." Mr. Boston, who lists "Taxicab Confessions" as one of his favorite shows on his MySpace, was the best thing about one of the best shows on TV. Boston, you will be missed, and next fall I hope to be tuning in to watch your own VH1 dating show.

1. Scottie Pippen's "Tryout": That's right, the 41-year-old former Bull wants to make a comeback, preferably with the Miami Heat because the elderly love moving to Florida. One of the highlights of the weekend was Pippen's participation in the 'Shooting Stars' competition. Pippen started off well enough, hitting a three-pointer on his third attempt, but quickly fell apart. In the final round, it took him at least 10 shots to make a three, which would have been sad to watch if not for the commentators covering for him by saying "three's were never Scottie's game anyway."

2. LeBron's Lack of Effort: If in 10 years LeBron James is putting up 20 points per game for a 20-win New York Knicks squad, this season will be the earliest evidence of his downfall. None of the participants in the skills challenge gave 100 percent, but James walked through the course, looking like a man who couldn't wait to sit down at a blackjack table. I'm pretty sure that's not what David Stern was hoping for when he forced the stars to compete in everything but the dunk contest.

3. The glorious return of Pops: The most surprising moment of the weekend came when I tuned into the NBA D-league All-Star game, only to see former GW Colonial Pops Mensah-Bonsu playing. Pops is a legend on the GW campus, and I came to appreciate him through a couple of my friends who have met the "Mayor of Foggy Bottom." It wasn't a token appearance by Pops, as he won the MVP after scoring 30 points. Hopefully Eric Dampier will blow out his knee soon so Pops can get called up to the Maverick's roster.

4. David Lee dominating the Rookie-Sophomore game: A few weeks ago, I referred to David Lee as the "Next Big Thing." He's already made me look better than J.P. Losman did, as he dominated the Rookie Challenge, scoring 30 points on 14-14 shooting. While he took advantage of the rookie's lack of defensive effort (it's as though they were all ready to go to a strip club with LeBron), the performance was impressive enough to make former AU grad David Aldridge ask Lee why he isn't starting for the Knicks. While the correct answer is "Isiah is a moron," Lee took the more diplomatic approach. By the way, if he gets traded before the deadline, I'm done with the NBA and you'll all have to read more hockey columns.

5. Barkley-Bavetta I: As great as the weekend was, the race between Charles Barkley and elderly ref Dick Bavetta was the highlight of the weekend. Everything about it was perfect, from the training montage featuring Bavetta doing calisthenics and Barkley eating doughnuts to the announcers referring to Barkley as "Sir Cumference." Just a surreal five minutes that you never see in any other sports. Hopefully, the success of this even will lead to NFL super ref Ed Hochuli challenging Michael Irvin in an arm wrestling contest.

I'll leave you this week with the best exchange of the weekend, after Barkley caught his breath enough to speak:

"We raised a lot of money for charity."

(Charles looks at the large check, and sees that it is for $50,000)

"OK, we raised two blackjack hands for charity."

Vegas + NBA = the perfect combo.