Health Center's hours aggravate students.

Students "don't trust" Health Center

Frustrated by the Student Health Center's inconvenient hours and less than extensive care, some AU students said they are now seeking health care elsewhere.

Caroline Basile's frustration with the Health Center peaked when she ended up in the hospital a month after being told by a Health Center official, "take these [pills] and you'll be fine."

Basile, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, had gone to the Health Center seeking treatment for an infection.

Later, she ended up in the hospital, where doctors told her that her infection had been growing internally for a month.

"I thought to myself, 'You've got to be kidding me!" she said.

Pointing to her past experiences at the Health Center, Basile said she now plans on going elsewhere for future medical care.

Despite criticism like Basile's, Health Center Patient Services Coordinator Edythe Cook said in an e-mail that even when the center is packed, the quality of student health care remains the same.

"Student health care is not compromised during our busy times," she said. "The SHC handles the chief complaint of the student at the time of their visit and suggests follow-up visits when necessary."

By providing a low-cost health care option, the Student Health Center benefits students, Cook said. An appointment costs $10 for AU insurance holders and $15 for others, according to the Health Center's Web site.

"Students also learn how to access medical care, understand better the cost of medical care and gain an understanding of why medical insurance is needed," Cook said.

Ben Sanders, a senior in the School of International Service, said he was satisfied with his past experiences at the Health Center.

"They were pretty efficient and the staff was friendly," he said.

Sanders said if he were to need medical care again, he'd return.

"I'm actually going back there at the end of the week," he said.

However, Sanders said the Student Health Center needs longer hours. It is currently open from 8 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Monday through Friday and is closed on the weekends.

"It should be open later at least two times a week for students who work late or have class," he said.

Basile said that by not having enough hours, the Student Health Center is not meeting students' needs.

"As students, we live on campus," she said. "We're here 24/7. If something happens, we shouldn't automatically have to go to the emergency room."

Cook, however, defended the Health Center's hours.

"As an [alumna], I understand the need to juggle classes and work," she said in the e-mail. "However, your health is your number one priority."

Many appointments early in the day often go unfilled, she said.

Rebecca Sheehan, a freshman in SIS, said she found making an appointment with the Student Health Center especially challenging. The Health Center operates by appointment only.

Both times Sheehan needed to get into the Health Center, there were no appointments available.

"I had just collapsed in class," she said. "It was unacceptable."

Cook said, however, the Health Center's scheduling system usually allows for same-day appointments. Without an appointment system, students would have much longer waits, she said.

"For example, what do you thing would happen if 50 people walked into the Health Center at once?" she said.

Sheehan said she is now looking for other medical care options.

"I'm glad that we have something, but I don't trust them," she said. "If I had a real emergency, if I were really sick, I would go off-campus"