Students pack the dance floor at the sold out Founder's Day Ball Saturday night.

Sold-out Founder's Day a 'success'

The annual AU Student Government Founder's Day Ball proved a "great success," as more than 500 students packed into the historic Willard Intercontinental Hotel ballroom Saturday night in downtown D.C., according to Derek Torrey, deputy programmer for the SG and a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs.

Founder's Day Ball, which celebrates the founding of AU in February 1893, has been held at various "uniquely D.C. venues" for more than 20 years, according to Torrey, who organized the event this year. He said that overall, he received great response from students.

"I feel like it went well," he said. "We did sell out of all 500 tickets."

Torrey said this was the most well-attended Founder's Day Ball on record.

This year's ball featured free shuttle rides to the Willard every 15 minutes from the south side shuttle stop, a live band and DJ, two chocolate fountains, a dessert buffet, a light hors d'oeuvres offering and a cash bar, all for $15.

"Fifteen dollars was a great deal for a Saturday night adventure with great food, a beautiful location and a live band," Elizabeth Prevou, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said.

Torrey said his biggest challenge this year was dealing with limited budget resources.

"Programmingwise, it went well," he said. "But dealing with the budget is difficult."

Allocated $24,000 for this year's event, Torrey said he had to stretch the pennies to make it all work.

"It began back in October when I started looking at venues around the city," he said. From there, it was about finding the best place at the best price.

The Willard, which has housed every president since Franklin Pierce as they prepare to be inaugurated, was Torrey's first-choice venue.

In addition to ticket sales and the initial budget allocation, Torrey said he raised $6,000 to $7,000 through co-sponsorships.

"I'm very grateful to the organizations that co-sponsored the event," he said. "It gave me $35,000 to work with."

The Residence Hall Association, the Student Union Board, the American University Transit Organization and the Office of Campus Life were major contributors to the event.

Students said the event was all they had hoped it would be.

"When I walked into the Willard, I was amazed," Jillian Rubino, a sophomore in SPA and a member of the Undergraduate Senate, said. "I think Derek did a great job. I was so proud of him and I told him that."

Some students said they wished the lines for the shuttles had been shorter.

"I had a great time and the place was really nice," Charlie Houpert, a sophomore in CAS, said. "I just wished it lasted longer. The line for shuttles was long, so we ended up getting there and having only two hours to dance."

SG members said it was a fantastic showcase of what AU's Student Government can offer its students.

"This event spoke to the amazing programming abilities of the SG," said Ben Murray, a senior in SPA and the School of International Service and the speaker of the Undergraduate Senate. "It was truly a great success."

Overall, Torrey said he was pleased with the event.

"It took a lot of work," he said. "But it's about the students. As long as they had a great time, I'm happy"