Greek Life Doesn't Deserve A Bad Rep

Despite the long and positive tradition of Greek life on many college campuses, fraternities and sororities often come under attack from parents, administrators and other students. While some of this criticism is valid, much of it is holding everyone responsible for the actions of a few bad individuals.

Whenever Greek life makes national headlines, it's never a good sign. Hazing is one of the most serious issues surrounding Greeks today, and many claim that the very nature of the fraternity system encourages this problem. However, to solely blame Greek life for hazing is unfair. While it is true that many Greek organizations have had issues with hazing, it is not limited to them alone. Many other groups, such as athletic teams, also have difficulties with hazing. One study found that around two-thirds of all college athletes are involved in some sort of hazing incident. However, hazing is unjustly often just associated with Greek life, and many criticize Greek organizations for not doing more to curtail it. Yet very rarely are other groups subjected to the same criticism that fraternities and sororities are concerning hazing.

Another general condemnation of Greek life is the "party atmosphere." Greeks are often viewed as partiers who care about little more than when the next kegger will be. While there are certainly many Greeks who are into partying, college students in general are much more likely to drink than their non-college peers are. According to a study by Colombia University, around 70 percent of students, whether Greek or non-Greek, drink alcohol. In addition, about 40 percent of students engage in binge drinking. While those in Greek life were found to engage in these activities more than the general student body, drinking amongst college students is obviously an issue that affects not just fraternities or sororities, but the vast majority of students on college campuses.

While much is made of the downside of Greek life, very little time is spent on the positive benefits of fraternities and sororities. One complaint leveled against Greeks is that they don't take their academics seriously (after all, all we Greeks care about is partying). However, Greeks here at AU actually have a higher average GPA than the average student does. In addition, a study conducted by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2000 showed that Greeks actually graduate at a higher rate than non-Greeks.

The great benefit of Greek organizations is the connections that are made through them. The friendships that you make during your undergraduate years can often last a lifetime. In addition, the connections that you can make through alumni members is also extremely helpful when networking is such an important element of the workplace today. Fraternities and sororities give you a steady group of support, whether it's to help you find a job or just to have someone you can talk to when you're having problems. Life is all about relationships, and Greek life not only strengthens relationships, but helps to form new ones, as well.

Greek life is not perfect, but it is the unfair target of much scorn. If Greeks are to reverse the generally negative opinion that many have toward them, they must lead the way in promoting leadership and responsibility.

Caleb Enerson is a sophomore in the

School of Public Affairs and a conservaitve columnist for The Eagle.