'Just Another Diamond Day' enjoyed success this decade after flopping in '60s.

Folk singer makes D.C. comeback

Vashti Bunyan checks into Rock Hotel

One of the most surprising and triumphant music stories in the last few years is the return of British folk legend Vashti Bunyan. When she played Friday at the District's Rock and Roll Hotel with Vetiver, it was to be an event few would have thought likely: a U.S. tour. Her backstory is one of extreme necessity for framing her recent re-emergence into the world of neo-folk.

Bunyan's career began when she was inspired to write music by the early works of Bob Dylan, particularly his "Freewheelin'" album. After a few modestly successful singles in 1969, she recorded and released her first and seemingly last LP, "Just Another Diamond Day." This album features "Rose Hip November," a song cited by Bunyan as her personal favorite and a very singular song in her catalog because of the spontaneity from which it arose. Although a staggering work that is undeniably a classic album, Bunyan was devastated by its lack of success (critically and commercially) and retreated from music.

Bunyan married, had children and lived on a farm where music was the last thing on her mind. She says of her thoughts at the time of making music again: "I didn't think it was a possibility, not even a remote possibility." Not only did Bunyan consider her music career over; she claimed that music no longer even played much of a role in her life. Bunyan speaks of this period of her life with maturity and perspective; she assures that she has no regrets.

In the last 10 years, however, there has been a resurgence of appreciation for great "lost" albums such as "Just Another Diamond Day." In 2000, Spinney Records re-released this gem, while simultaneously the neo-folk movement spearheaded by Devendra Banhart, Animal Collective and Joanna Newsom began to form. These artists released a wealth of acclaimed material in the ensuing years, and Bunyan was subsequently heralded as a great influence. Banhart was especially vocal about his admiration of Bunyan; he even wrote to Bunyan when he was homeless and artistically directionless in San Francisco. With regard to this incident, Bunyan humbly claims that he was merely in a predicament she had been in and had found comfort in her music. Less subtly, Banhart has been known to assert "Just Another Diamond Day" as an album that saved his life.

With this reawakening, Bunyan was slowly coaxed back to music with appearances on Animal Collective's "Prospect Hummer" EP and tracks by Banhart and Piano Magic. However, the truly unthinkable occurred when in 2005 Bunyan's second LP, "Lookaftering," was released to great praise. Drawing on her personal life, including a divorce and child rearing, Bunyan was able to recapture the spirit of her previous work and find new fans.

Bunyan discusses her music with great modesty and prefers to downplay her impact in any musical scene. When asked about other female folk artists of the time, Bunyan claims that she didn't know anything about them, but says it is fabulous to hear such similar-minded artists as Linda Perhacs receiving due praise. While the supposed freak-folk movement has spawned some excellent music, she prefers to remain separate from classification.

She even prefers to not consider herself a folk singer because her music is quite far removed from folk in the traditional meaning of the term. When discussing her music and the expression of her worldview, Bunyan admits-with regard to spirituality-that "she doesn't think of it very much," and that it plays no role in her music.

Fortunately, it does not appear as if it will be another 35 years until Bunyan's next album. She is currently in the beginning stages of writing new songs and hopes to have a third LP released sometime in early 2008. Andy Cabic of Vetiver is expected to collaborate extensively on this next album. Bunyan recently began her U.S. tour, but she lightheartedly says of her audience, "People ask me if my old fans turn up, and of course I have to say that I didn't have any."

When Bunyan took the stage Friday night, she was thoroughly unassuming. With a young five-piece backing band and an acoustic guitar, she played 40 minutes of highlights from her two LPs. She was able to create an intimate atmosphere through her nervous banter and fragile voice. After two recent songs, Bunyan received her loudest applause of the evening when she played "Diamond Day," a song with an instantly memorable melody.

The juxtaposition of her old material with the new showed the great difference in maturity and idealism between her two albums. "Just Another Diamond Day's" selections came off as beautifully na've meditations on love and a vagabond lifestyle, while tracks from "Lookaftering" showed a complex woman evaluating life choices and finding peace in her life. Perhaps the most memorable performance of the evening was "Here Before," a song written about Bunyan's first child and based on a gypsy's comment that she appeared to have "been here before."

Vetiver took the stage shortly after and couldn't help but be an afterthought. However, with Bunyan looking on in admiration, Vetiver proved to be an excellent country-folk band in the vein of The Band or Flying Burrito Brothers. The band played a mix of songs from its two albums as well as covers of Bobby Charles and the Everly Brothers. Perhaps, overshadowed by constant collaborator Devendra Banhart, Vetiver showed the depth to which Bunyan has influenced modern folk music.