House passes '100 Hours' bills

Legislation includes stem cell funding, minimum wage raise

The House of Representatives passed the final bill in the Democrats' "100 Hours Plan" Thursday, according to the Associated Press.

The plan included six bills, as well as changes to House rules meant to reduce the influence of lobbyists and the deficit. The bills, which all passed, included a raise in the minimum wage, an expansion of tax-funded embryonic stem cell research, the adoption of new homeland security measures, a proposal to negotiate lower Medicare prescription drugs, a lowering of interest rates on subsidized student loans and a rollback on tax breaks to the oil and gas industries, according to the AP.

The Democrats, who now have a 233-202 majority in the House, promised to enact the six bills during their first 100 business hours if their party gained the majority, according to the AP.

Patrick Faust, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and member of the College Democrats, said he was glad the Democrats had fulfilled their election promise by getting the legislation passed in the House.

"I think this Congress set a new precedent for following through on legislation," Faust said. "They passed all six of the promised bills and did so in 42 legislative hours."

Keegan Gibson, a junior in the School of International Service and member of the College Republicans, said the "100 Hours Plan" addressed issues where there was bipartisan agreement.

"I felt the last Congress was focusing too much on divisive issues rather than some of the things that people on both sides of the aisle agreed on," Gibson said.

"The '100 Hours Plan' addresses some of these issues where there is a lot of bipartisan agreement, and I think that's gone well," Gibson said. "However, I'm a little concerned that the new Democratic leadership might use this new bipartisanship to push through some measures Republicans might not agree with."

While a majority of House Republicans voted against five of the bills, some Republican members voted with the Democrats in each case.

Thirty-seven Republicans, the fewest to support any of the bills, voted to pass the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. The College Student Relief Act garnered the most Republican support of any of the bills with 124 Republicans voting to pass it, according to the House of Representatives' Web site.

While all parts of the "100 Hours Plan" had some Republican support, some GOP leaders criticized the way the Democrats were running the legislative process. House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, claimed the Democratic leadership was "short-circuiting democracy" by not allowing members to attach amendments to any of the six bills, according to the AP.

Josh Cahan, a sophomore in SPA and member of the College Republicans, said the Republicans were complaining about getting the same treatment the Democrats received while they were the minority party.

"The Republicans did the same thing to the Democrats during the last Congress, and it's obviously coming back to bite them," Cahan said. "When your party chooses to beat up on the other party, and the tide turns, it's going to happen the same way."

"100 Hours Plan" bills

The "100 Hours Plan" was a set of legislative proposals House of Representatives Democrats promised to enact during the first 100 business hours of the new Congressional term if their party gained majority status in the 2006 midterm elections. In addition to new rules to limit the influence of lobbyists, the "100 Hours Plan" included six bills which addressed issues Democrats believed had bipartisan support. All six bills passed by varying margins.

1. Implementing the 9/11 Commission Recommendations Act - Passed 299-198 The Implementing the 9/11 Commission Recommendations Act allows for the legal adoption of most recommendations made by the 9/11 Commission that had not been previously addressed by Congress. A key provision in the bill mandates that all cargo entering the U.S. by air or sea must be fully inspected.

2. Fair Minimum Wage Act - Passed 315-116 The Fair Minimum Wage Act would increase the federally mandated minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 per hour. The increase, which would take place in several gradual increments over a 26-month period, is the first raise in the minimum wage since 1997.

3. Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act - Passed 253-174 The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act allows for the federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. Congress passed a similar bill last year, which was vetoed by President Bush. Bush has already promised to veto the new version of the proposal if it passes the Senate.

4. Medicare Prescription Drug Price Negotiation Act - Passed 255-170 The Medicare Prescription Drug Price Negotiation Act would require the government to negotiate with prescription drug companies to lower the cost of prescribed medications. President Bush has also threatened to veto this piece of legislation if it passes the Senate.

5. College Student Relief Act - Passed 356-71 The College Student Relief Act would cut the interest rate on need-based student loans. Under the provisions of the bill, the interest rate would decrease from 6.8 to 3.4 percent over a five-year period. President Bush has gone on record as being opposed to this piece of legislation.

6. Creating Long-Term Energy Alternatives for the Nation Act - Passed 264-163 The Creating Long-Term Energy Alternatives for the Nation Act would roll back federal subsidies given to companies in the oil industry and require oil companies to pay an assortment of new fees and taxes. The additional money collected would be used to promote renewable energy sources.

SOURCES: Associated Press & U.S. House of Representatives