Forget global warming: hot ideas for cool winter fun

Now that the icy throes of winter have finally descended upon the District, the spring-like escapades of this December are a thing of the past. Weather-appropriate activities are crucial to the enjoyment of these chilly times. With that in mind, the Scene presents the following options for seasonal adventures.

Ice Skating at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden

The National Mall at Seventh Street and Constitution Avenue N.W.

$6 student admission for a two-hour skating session. $3 for skate rental

Open daily

Few activities are more idyllically wintry than ice skating outdoors. The rink in the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden is open from mid-November until mid-March, seven days a week, allowing ample time for indulging in this childhood classic.

Capitol Hill Books

657 C Street S.E.

Open weekdays from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and weekends from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Every available nook and corner of this used bookstore is filled. Spend a chilly winter day browsing Capitol Hill Books' selection of foreign language books - in the store's bathroom, of course. Then head to the kitchen to peruse the cookbooks. The store also carries fiction, business books, cultural biographies and other categories. For those looking for profit, Capitol Hill Books will also buy used books that are in good condition.

Black History Month Film and Discussion Series

In various locations around D.C., February 7-11

Events cost $10-$55

Four films with discussions and one play comprise this annual event. The film discussion topics range from the civil rights movement to Blaxploitation and feature actors, musicians and the filmmakers themselves. The final night features a performance of August Wilson's "Gem of the Ocean" at the Arena Stage. Call (202) 409-7240 for more information on the series.

Tastee Diner

7731 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda, Md.

Open 24 hours a day, every day

Bethesda's Tastee Diner feels like it's been around since diners were invented. With a classic diner menu including hamburgers, milkshakes and omelets, Tastee's dishes have just the right amount of grease to be really satisfying. And with cold winds blowing through the city, an extra layer of fat is preferable anyway.

Albert Einstein Planetarium at the National Air and Space Museum

The National Mall at Independence Avenue and Fourth Street S.W.

Museum admission and some planetarium shows are free. "Cosmic Collisions" is $8.50

Museum open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

If it's too cold to sleep outside and gaze at the stars, a planetarium can offer the next best thing. Actually, let's be honest, planetariums are way cooler than sleeping outside. Furthermore, "Cosmic Collisions," a new show that the museum's Web site calls "a thrilling trip through space and time," is narrated by Robert Redford. Let's hope it's as inspirational as "The Horse Whisperer."

Millennium Stage at the Kennedy Center

2700 F Street N.W.

Free performances daily at 6 p.m.

As part of The Kennedy Center's "Performing Arts for Everyone" initiative, the Millennium Stage offers free, daily performances that don't require tickets. The performances span the arts, offering everything from indie rock to classical guitar to ballet. These events are the ideal way for students, low on cash as usual, to experience the Kennedy Center. Be sure get tickets Jan. 27 for the Millennium Stage's 10th anniversary celebration on Feb. 5, featuring Sufjan Stevens and the U.S. Navy Jazz Ensemble.