Do Make Say Think's post-rock has made them big in Canada.

Busdrivers, Ponys on fast track to stardom

It doesn't take long for the hype of a new year to start. Sometimes it even seems that the "next big thing" is right behind Santa Claus, coming down the chimney to offer up a new album in return for blind, unadulterated appreciation. It is often hard to separate the bands and artists that really will have an impact on the musical world from those musicians that are destined to end up in the bargain bin at Sam Goody. Luckily, the Scene is fairly confident that the following artists, ranging from veteran emcees to promising freak folk bands, are going to be justifiably hyped as 2007 unfolds.

Explosions in the Sky

It has been awhile since these four lads from Texas actually released a studio album. They released tracks for the "Friday Night Lights" score and an obscure mail-order only album, but with a new studio album coming out soon and their music being played on NBC, it's only a matter of time before Explosions in the Sky gain the attention they rightfully deserve.

The Ponys

Chicago's The Ponys have been tearing the music scene up for about four years now with their brand of punk that sets feet moving. They were on dozens of top 10 lists for their album "Laced with Romance." With their new album, "Celebration Castle," on the horizon and a new headlining tour, they seem poised to take the band in a new direction, one that includes the indie rock equivalent of superstardom.

Busdriver

This L.A. emcee may already be legendary in Southern California for his downbeat hip-hop style, distinctive voice and fast rhyme delivery, but he is still relatively unknown across the nation. Not for long though. Busdriver was just signed to Epitaph and with the big-time label releasing an upcoming album it seems that he will gain more publicity and notoriety than he's ever had before. Get ready to get on the bus.

K-OS

Many people have heard this hip-hop artist's songs before, because they were sampled for Missy Elliot tracks. Or maybe you know him from the dozens of collaborations he has done with the Canadian rock label Arts and Crafts, home of Broken Social Scene and Stars. However this year seems to be the year K-OS stands up on his own. With "Atlantis: Hymns for Disco," his recently released new album and two supporting tours, K-OS is going to be hard at work.

Grizzly Bear

This Brooklyn-based indie rock band made quite a stir with the release of their 2006 album "Yellow House," but they never had a chance to follow it up because their subsequent tour was cut short due to robbery and family tragedy. Fortunately, this year they have their own headlining tour and they will be bringing their brand of acoustic experimental music to the masses. While "Yellow House" may not have caught on yet, be prepared to hear it all over MTV2 as the next Radiohead-esque.

Akron/Family

Much like Grizzly Bear, Akron/Family is yet another experimental band out of Brooklyn. The main difference is that Akron/Family has not only released one, but two albums in the past year. With plans to release a third this year and an upcoming headlining tour, Akron/Family is poised to head straight to the top of the heap. This psychedelic fun band is one of the hardest working acts in rock music today and it's only a matter of time before their hard work and superb musicianship pays off with success and notoriety across the nation.

Do Make Say Think

Some will remember having seen this band supporting Broken Social Scene on their last U.S. tour. With members of BSS in the band, it is no wonder this band has gained a reputation for a great live show with amazing musicianship. While it seems that Godspeed! You Black Emperor is on an indefinite hiatus, Do Make Say Think is bringing post-rock back in a big way. With a new album and an upcoming headlining tour, it looks as if this jazzy post-rock ensemble won't have to worry about gaining fame. This seems to be the year for Canadian acts in the United States.

The Thermals

This Portland, Ore., trio has been hard at work for the past decade trying to get their unique brand of indie-punk to the masses, and it seems as if it is finally paying off. Releasing three albums in the past four years and with plans to release another one, The Thermals are primed for success as they remain on one of the biggest labels, Sub Pop. Their last album, "The Body, The Blood, The Machine," was on many best of 2006 lists and their new album will certainly make an impression on those paying attention.