Age restrictions discussed after death in D.C. club

The D.C. Council held a hearing Thursday to discuss legislation barring minors from clubs that serve alcohol, prompted by the killing of a 17-year-old girl Jan. 20 at a U Street club, according to The Washington Post. Although several AU students said they feel safe in D.C., they think clubs - as well as students - should take more precautions.

Taleisha Ford, a senior at Booker T. Washington Public Charter School, was fatally wounded when a gun went off as another patron got into a scuffle with a bouncer inside Club 1919, according to the D.C. Metropolitan Police in a report on the D.C. government Web site.

The U Street neighborhood is a rapidly growing district that houses many bars, cafes, restaurants and clubs, according to The Post.

Isaiah Burns, a senior in the School of Public Affairs, said he felt safe at Club 1919 when he was there last year because he was patted down for a body search. However, he said the bouncers did not do a thorough examination of IDs. Consequently, underage college students used fake IDs to purchase alcohol inside, Burns said.

After hearing about last Saturday's shooting, AU students Daniela Keith and Gabriela Albir, both freshmen in the School of International Service, said they will take more precautions, especially in the U Street area, where they go to clubs and restaurants at night during the weekend.

According to The Post, Club 1919, also known as Smarta/Broadway, is the fourth establishment on U Street in three years that was closed due to a killing. City officials permanently closed Between Friends in 2004 and Kili's Caf? in 2005 because of stabbing incidents. In 2005, Club U was closed because of a shooting, The Post reported.

Masha Thorne, a sophomore in the Kogod School of Business, said she thinks clubs are not safe places to drink because "if you have enough [alcohol] you can be easily persuaded to do anything."

Noah Gefen, a sophomore in the School of Communication, said the D.C. nightlife is an important part of the college experience and drinking at bars and nightclubs helps him meet students from other universities.

According to Burns, the safest club in the D.C. is Love because the bouncers perform a detailed examination of ID cards, have separate lines for males and females, and security guards constantly patrol the dance floors. If patrons do not have a plastic wristband that indicates they are of drinking age, a club employee writes an "X" on their hand indicating that they cannot purchase alcohol, Burns said.

As a precaution, Gefen said he always walks on main streets in a group at night.

Ana Carro, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she takes taxis to avoid walking from the Metro.

Miguel Columna, a freshman in SIS, said he researched clubs before attending by talking to other patrons or by visiting the club's Web site.

In response to Taleisha Ford's death, acting police chief Cathy L. Lanier temporarily closed down Club 1919, according to The Post.

During the D.C. Council hearing, the Examiner said Attorney General Linsay Singer proposed banning all minors from nightclubs serving alcohol.

According to The Post, Council member Jim Graham proposed setting a minimum age for minors to enter nightclubs. Graham said that he also wants new requirements for alcohol licenses to nightclubs, including increased training for security guards and "aggressive" patrol of the establishments during events that cater to minors.