'The Good German' uses black and white film technology from the 1940s to give an authentic and period feel.

WWII mystery filmed in classic style

Clooney, Blanchett in all-star cast of Soderbergh's 'The Good German'

Some moviegoers may feel like "The Good German" is an artificial recreation of classic film noir movies while others will let themselves become absorbed into the film's tense storyline. Nevertheless, "The Good German" boasts an impressive cast and a distinctly old-fashioned style that will teleport viewers to the past. Those who have read the original novel by Joseph Kanon will not be disappointed.

In the ruins of post-WWII Berlin, U.S. Army war correspondent Jake Geismar (George Clooney) meets his old girlfriend, Lena Brandt (Cate Blanchett), who now works for Geismar's driver and black-market dealer Patrick Tully (Tobey Maguire) but desperately wants to get out of Berlin. After Geismar notices a chain of disturbing coincidences that do not add up, he tries to uncover the secrets Lena is hiding and the identities of individuals who the U.S. officials in the area seem very intent on keeping hidden. Geismar's research into Tully's black-market history may be either Lena's way out of Berlin or a way into deep trouble.

Few modern actors can convincingly pull off a 1950s film noir hero, but Clooney fits the part like a glove. Clooney expertly portrays the achingly romantic and wryly sarcastic Geismar. He gives off the impression of a man who does not let himself be intimidated and will use any means necessary to find answers. Audiences will find themselves rooting for him as he delves deeper and deeper into the movie's mysteries.

The best performance in the movie by far is Blanchett's. Her bitter, jaded Brandt is strikingly convincing as a femme fatale with a dark past and a desperate instinct for survival. She only reveals clues to her mysterious past and has an alluring seductive power strong enough to lead men to their doom. Maguire's Tully does not have too much time to develop his character but puts on a very satisfying performance as a baby-faced motor pool soldier who lets himself become embroiled in the black market, giving rise to the cruelty he possesses that will shock viewers. Most of the other actors in the movie are not well known and only play small parts, letting the film focus on developing the big three characters.

Director Steven Soderbergh decided to experiment with "The Good German" by making it as old-fashioned as possible. The film is shot in black and white using equipment only available to directors of the 1940s. There are no wireless microphones; instead, they hang over the heads of the actors and actresses. Fixed lenses mean no zooming in or out, and there are no computer graphics. There are even little quirks in the movies such as a shot of a newspaper going black everywhere but a crucial headline.

The pace and feel of the movie are very refreshing; there are no massive gunfights or slow motion sequences of bullets grazing George Clooney's neck. "The Good German" is simply a well-made mystery movie with a good plot that falls together like a puzzle during the course of the movie. The movie adds in a gleam of seductive corruption and a feeling that there is no distinct good and evil - there are only shades of gray. The plot can feel too slowly paced at times but the answers will make these minor slowdowns worth waiting for.

People in need of a break from movies relying too much on special effects should consider seeing "The Good German." Even for those not too fond of old-fashioned movies, the performances of Clooney, Blanchett and Maguire, as well as the dark, brooding plot, definitely make the movie worth seeing.