Graduate student writes anti-torture resolutions

Anthropology Association passes legislation

Kanhong Lin, an anthropology graduate student, co-authored two resolutions with Roberto González, associate professor of anthropology at San Jose State University in response to the use of anthropological research in torture, as well as the ongoing U.S.-led invasion in Iraq.

The resolutions said the AAA "condemns the use of anthropological knowledge as an element of physical and psychological torture" and also "urges the immediate withdrawal of all U.S. military personnel, intelligence agents and subcontractors from Iraq." The resolution passed with little debate at the American Anthropological Association's annual meeting Nov. 18.

In addition, the statement on the occupation encourages the creation of a UN peacekeeping force to "assume the peacekeeping duties in Iraq."

This year's AAA meeting was the first meeting in 30 years for which enough members showed up to achieve a quorum, which is enough to pass resolutions.

"It was exciting," said David Vine, a visiting anthropology professor at AU who attended this year's vote. "Too many people for too long have been silent. It is sad that our anthropological research has assisted war-making."

Lin and González began working on the resolutions late this past summer in response to Central Intelligence Agency recruitment of anthropologists, as well as a 2004 report showing that anthropological research had been used for torture at Abu-Ghraib.

"As an anthropologist, you're responsible to the community you study," Lin said. "How can you turn around and share that information with the CIA?"

Sven Romberg, a senior studying anthropology in the College of Arts and Sciences, agreed.

"Anthropological field work involves meeting people. You start to care for people. Anthropologists should naturally be opposed to torture," Romberg said.

González was also frustrated by the discovery that anthropological research had been used to develop culturally specific torture techniques.

"It really outraged me," he said. "Something had to be done. We had to create a firm position, association wide, rejecting torture."

As an undergraduate student at San Jose State University, Lin took González's classes and began to perceive his teacher as a mentor over his four years at the university. González also worked with Lin when he began applying to graduate anthropology programs.

"I have seen him develop as a student," González said.

Lin said the AAA support for the resolutions illustrates that anthropologists disagree with the ongoing war in Iraq as well as the use of torture.

"Sometimes, you need people to initiate and link people together," he said. "This is the most important part of the resolution."

Vine agreed with Lin.

"I hope that these resolutions become part of a larger movement towards peace in Iraq," Vine said.

Understanding the limits of his work, Lin admitted the statements won't change national policy on the war in Iraq or torture overnight.

"This is a symbolic statement that we oppose the misapplication of our work to support torture," Lin said.

"We don't want anthropological research to tear down cultures," Romberg said.

On the other hand, Dayna Wells, a sophomore in the School of International Affairs and CAS, said she believed there were limitations to how much control anthropologists had over their research.

"Once you put something out to the public and publish it you can't control how it will be used," she said.

González said he worried anthropologists are beginning to face ethical challenges. With a very strong recruitment push from the CIA, he said anthropologists "might be used as foot soldiers."

Despite the potential dangers anthropology faces, Romberg said he believes anthropology is still especially relevant in the post-Sept. 11 world.

"Anthropology should protect the rights of marginalized people," Romberg said.